Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday Twosome

(Link at left)
Summer Lovin' ... and more

1. What two things are you going to miss the most about summer?
Being warm. And being warm. OK, seriously, and not having to worry about a coat.
2. What two things annoyed you the most about summer?
Bugs and humidity (I'm not blaming the season for my allergies, which were horrendous this year for some reason!).
3. Name two memorable moments from this past summer:
Elizabeth's wedding, and spending time with Sparky, even if it was watching a gory TV show with him! :-)
4. Did you go on vacation this summer and if so, where?
We went to Tennessee for the wedding, plus states between here and there PLUS Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania....
5. Who has more fun during summer: A child or an adult? And why?
Oh, I definitely think--all things being equal, and there being no tragedies (broken arms, etc.)--kids have it better, just because they can live in the moment, enjoy the heat without noticing how hot they are, and not worry about the oncoming winter. Summers stretched out endlessly when I was a kid: no schedule, no responsibilities.... Grownups have to work; need I say more? Bleah.
a second meme this week:

1. Where were you 6 years ago? Explain:
We still lived in town. I was working lots fewer hours, and doing more volunteer work at church, which is where I was--alone--when Beast called and told me to go home and watch the news. Sparky was in 3rd grade, and I called the school to assure myself that they were "doing something" but I made myself NOT go pick him up until the usual time school was out.
2. What two major emotions do recall feeling?
The major one was pure shock. Then sadness at all the people who were going to die, or had already died.
3. Who were the first two people you called that day?
Our pastor & his wife to ask if they wanted to come over for TV coverage, and then probably...gosh, Mom? Beast's brother, who lives in Manhattan? Not sure. I think I emailed a lot of people rather than tying up the phone line. My eldest British niece was flying to the States that day with her boyfriend (who had never--probaby has never since--flown). They ended up in Amsterdam after making it all the way to somewhere over Newfoundland before being turned back to Iceland and then Europe. My sister was...uh, a little worried (hah!!) until the next day when Ellen could finally call her.
4. What two words best describes that day for you?
Horrified, and impressed with the courage and proud of so many people.
5. What two major changes in your life has occurred since that day?
A lot of things have changed in relatively minor ways: new house, Sparky has completed middle school, I'm working more hours, Beast works in a different town....
One major change is that I no longer look forward with blind excitement about flying. I hasten to add that it's not the PLANES, it's the airports! The other long-lasting thing is that I no longer have the same sort of negative feeling about People Who Live In NYC that I used to have. Sept. 11 really showed me that there are good people everywhere and I need to be less stick-up-the-ass about my personal prejudices.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.