Sunday, September 30, 2007

Patrick's Place

(Link at left)
Saturday Six

1. When do you buy candy for local trick-or-treaters?
Generally, not until the last possible minute, otherwise it gets eaten ahead of time (by me...booooo!)
2. When you buy Halloween candy (or if you were to buy it), would you be more likely to buy lower-priced candy that you didn’t particularly care for or candy you like that happened to cost a little more?
We almost always buy Tootsie Rolls. When we were young and poor, we'd buy whatever was on sale, which usually meant "stuff no kid wants." Nowadays, I just grab the bags of whatever and get on with life. I pay no attention to sales. I'm a bad home economist, eh?
3. If you were in a mood for a scary movie to watch on Halloween night, which would you select?
I'm never in the mood for a scary movie! If I had to do this, I'd probably pick a suspense movie over a horror flick.
4. Take the quiz: What should you be for Halloween?
Your Halloween Costume Should Be

A Girl Scout
Dang. I have my Girl Scout sash somewhere around here, too. :-)
5. Should trick-or-treating be regulated so that it is held on non-school nights and during hours that might help children avoid dangerous travel hours?
When we lived in the Milwaukee area, trick-or-treat was ALWAYS on the weekend nearest Halloween, in the afternoon. It was (excuse me) really freakin' stupid! Trick-or-treat should be in the evening, on Halloween, regardless of weather and the younger kids should be walked around the neighborhood by their (sober) parents. Note that I said "walked." Not driven house to house, not cruised (parents in car, kids walking). And no beer cans/cups, ok? And, for the older kids....can you wait until the night of Halloween to snag the pumpkins off porches and smash them in the street, after all the little guys get their fun over with?
6. How do you feel about some churches scheduling "fall festivals" to replace Halloween because of the holiday’s dark origin?
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Just remember that Halloween is a corruption of All Hallow's Eve, the night before All Souls Day/Day of the Dead (El Día de los Muertos), which is a Christian concept. The Church co-opted the pagan holidays around that time of year to make conversion to Christianity a little less traumatic. In any case, we all just need to get over this. If you really believe Halloween is all about worshipping the devil, just leave me alone. Halloween, for me, has ALWAYS been about dressing in silly clothes and begging for sugar!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.