Thursday, July 19, 2007

3x Thursday

(Link at left)
Randomness

1. Do you believe that we as humans were meant to have just one person we are paired with for life? Why/why not?
I think everyone is different. Some people really can make it their whole lives in love with one person forever. Others, as in other things, tend to be a little distractable in this area. I dunno. I think it's great when couples are lauded for 50 years of marriage, but I suspect that some of those 50-year-marriages have been unadulterated (hee) hell for at least one of the partners. I think the virtue here is really in honesty. Don't go into a marriage on 90% hope, knowing in your heart that you really shouldn't. Don't stay in a marriage that you know is unhealthy and terminal. The trick is to know the difference between a lengthy speed bump and a very DEAD relationship.
2. What do you think about famous people who have huge egos and/or are general not nice people? Do you think they have any right to behave as such? Are you able to ignore them and still enjoy their work, or does their attitude just kill the experience for you? Why/why not?
I think we all need to cut each other some slack; what appears like a big ego, or for that matter a wonderful "family" guy/gal, may in actuality be a carefully constructed image (see Rock Hudson among others, for an example--which is not to say I fault him for anything at all, just that he was not the ladies' man he portrayed his whole career). I'm having some difficulty with Tom Cruise here. I used to like him a lot, then he appears to have completely done a swan dive into the deep end of insanity. Generally, I can't really ignore really egregious behavior (i.e. Mr. Cruise's comments on post-natal depression, or anything surrounding Paris Hilton), but a little disagreement with points of view, a little stupid behavior...eh, we all have those moments. Move on.
However, "not nice" as a behavior pattern--Brandon Davis, anyone?--get the fuck away from me. Though I'm not sure what that particular person's "work" actually is. I've been trying to come up with someone like this who actually works...how about Russell Crowe? Tyra Banks? Uhm. Worrisome. Walk carefully. Trust my own eyes. And get them some anger-management seminars! But having paparazzi in MY face all the frickin' time would probably cause ME to freak out, too....
3. Do you believe that our happiness may be all about how we handle life's changes and curve balls? Why/why not?
To a degree, I do. I think that what we do today in managing the vicissitudes of life has a very long-term effect on who we become later, and how we handle the Big Stuff as we age. I believe very strongly that our happiness is our own to create (or destroy) to a very great degree, because we certainly can't control much else. Depending on other people, or events outside our control, to determine our basic happiness with the world ultimately means that it's going to be impossible to achieve.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.