Saturday, July 9, 2016

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Hotel California (1977)
... Because Country Dew suggested it. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Composer Don Henley says this song is about the "journey from innocence to experience." Where do find yourself on that journey? Are you more innocent, or experienced?
I'm not innocent, though most of what I know hasn't been from experiencing it myself but from watching, reading, or hearing about it.
2) The lyrics refers to the "warm smell of colitas." Do you know what it is that the Eagles noticed in the air?
I remember having no clue WTF they were saying at this point in the song until at some point I found the song lyrics and looked up "colitas" in the dictionary. Having never seen them, I have no idea what the scent is, still.
3) The girl in the song had her head turned by luxury, including jewelry from Tiffany's and Mercedes Benz autos. Do you consider yourself materialistic?
Not as bad as many, but still I have my "stuff" that is hard to walk away from.
4) This recording has been lauded by music publications for for its long guitar solo. Are you good on the guitar?
Hah! I played for, oh, maybe 4 hours over the course of 3 years in my teens. I listen to guitar pretty well though.... :)
5) There's an error in the lyrics and Don Henley can get a bit testy when interviewers bring it to his attention. Here's the lyric: "So I called up the captain and said, 'Please bring me your wine.' He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" Do you know what's wrong with it?
I'd guess it's that wine isn't a spirit, because only liquor is spirits. Something to do with distillation. But jeez that is fussy. I never noticed it before. 
6) Known as the Eagles' drummer, Henley now spends less time at his drum kit. Sitting at that angle for an extended period of time hurts his back. Sam believes this proves all those warnings she heard from her parents about good posture are true. Do you pay attention to your posture?
I do. I try to walk like I was taught to march in Band: shoulders straight ("back") and stomach tight with a round, open chest. My dad didn't countenance slouching: "Be PROUD of your height!!" All us girls were tall and he hated tall girls who tried to make themselves shorter. However, most of the time when I'm sitting I'm slouching, and modern technology does nothing but encourage shoulders-forward sitting. Be honest: where are your shoulders when you're typing on a keyboard? My massage therapist yells at me regularly, and now I try to even SLEEP with my shoulders back!
7) Joe Walsh is considered the wild man of the Eagles. Think of your circle of friends. Who is the most unpredictable?
...I think that might be me. Or Beast, but to be fair, that's mostly his addiction being crazy not him. When he's straight, he's perfectly predictable. And that's frankly why I married him!! Among my workplace friends, it's definite Librarian B.
8) In 1977, Star Wars premiered. How many Star Wars movies have you seen?
All. Of. Them. Multiple. Times. Beast is a bit of a fan. /sarcasm
9) Random question: "Nosocomephobia" is the fear of hospitals. Are you nosocomephobic?
Nope. Actually, this is weird: I was visiting a friend in the hospital just before I started this. I've hung out in hospitals since before I can remember because my sister was so ill when I was a tot. While I was too young to visit her on the floor very often, I hung out in public areas a lot, I'm sure, and I was a candy-striper in junior high/high school so I got to see behind the scenes a little. And then my dad ended up in that same hospital after his second heart attack when my mom was out of town and I was in high school, so it paid off knowing how things worked. Nah, hospitals don't scare me, except when the bill comes...

2 sweet-talkers :

CountryDew said...

I enjoyed your answers. The hospital is not a good place, but people like you make it better.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Can't sleeping with your shoulders back cause wry neck..or maybe it's wrinkles, I forget.
Oh yes, hospital bills are very scary.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.