Sunday, July 7, 2013

Books Meme

(Found at Shelly's)
  1. Favorite childhood book: Can't pick just one, but of course the "Laura" books, and Alice in Wonderland are up there.
  2. What are you reading right now? A Little Book for New Theologians, by Kelly M. Kapic ; Help Thanks Wow, by Anne Lamott ; In the Footsteps of Jesus, by Jean-Pierre Isbouts ; Her Fearful Symmetry (on CD), by Audrey Niffenegger ; Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box (edited by Brad Meltzer) ; Leonardo da Vinci, by Luke Syson et al.
  3. What books do you have on request at the library? Hang Fire, by Henry Kisor ; Farmer Buckley's Exploding Trousers (ed. Stephanie Pain) ; Cockpit Confidential, by Patrick Smith ; Inferno (on CD), by Dan Brown ; A Tale Dark & Grimm, by Adam Gidwitz
  4. Bad book habit? I read too many books at once, my library books are almost always late, and I read near water far too often for the safety of the books.
  5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? The Niffenegger, Meltzer, and Syson books listed in #2. Also: Moon Road Trip USA, by Jamie Jensen ; The Liars' Gospel, by Naomi Alderman ; "10,000 Reasons" (music CD), by Matt Redman ; "The Goat Rodeo Sessions" (music CD), by Yo-Yo Ma et al.
  6. Do you have an e-reader? I have a Nook that I almost never use as an ereader.
  7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? I think it's pretty clear that I'm a multi-reader.
  8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? I read a LOT less. :(
  9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?): The lowest-rated book has been The Testament of Mary, by Colm Tóibín. But it wasn't the worst I've ever read.
  10. Favorite book you've read this year? It's a pretty close race among these (very different) three: The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson ; Travels with Epicurus, by Daniel Klein ; Contents May Have Shifted, by Pam Houston
  11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? I have a pretty huge comfort zone, but I'm not a fan of hardcore SF, romances, pop fiction, or crafty stuff. I do read in those areas, mostly so when a patron asks if I've read any Danielle Steel or whatever, I can say, "Yes. Yes, I have."
  12. What is your reading comfort zone? History and specifically theological history and theory, mysteries and (some) thrillers, literary-ish fiction, some science nonfiction, short stories, fantasy, essays, humor.
  13. Can you read on the bus? I can't read in any road vehicle. Planes and trains, yes, though. It's weird.
  14. Favorite place to read? Everywhere. The bathtub and in bed are probably my favorites, though.
  15. What is your policy on book lending? I'd loan 'em with no expectation of having them returned, if asked.
  16. Do you ever dog-ear books? It's happened. Usually my own, not the library's.
  17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? Occasionally.
  18. Not even with text books? I wrote in ALL my textbooks.
  19. What is your favorite language to read in? English is certainly the easiest. I can read in Spanish, but it's slow work.
  20. What makes you love a book? Good characters, an understandable plot that moves along, good writing, something that I connect with.
  21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? Having been on the giving and receiving end of these, I've gotten burned too many times to be free with these. I'm very careful nowadays.
  22. Favorite genre? Mysteries.
  23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?): If I wished I did, I would. I guess I wish I could get into these long boring SF/fantasy epics, but I can't. Won't.
  24. Favorite biography? Oh, hell, I don't know. Maybe Girl Sleuth, by Melanie Rehak, about the woma/en who wrote the Nancy Drew books.
  25. Have you ever read a self-help book? Yes. They tend to be hooey, but sometimes there are kernals that are helpful.
  26. Favorite cookbook? The Joy of Cooking and my Better Homes and Gardens both of which are really reference books more than cookbooks.
  27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? Torn, by Justin Lee, though that Anne Lamott book is going to replace it, I'm sure, by the time I finish it.
  28. Favorite reading snack? Anything'll do.
  29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience: I have found that books rarely live up to their hype. The exception that comes to mind is the Harry Potter series, but then again, I was reading those before the hype really started.
  30. How often do you agree with critics about a book? Sometimes. Sometimes not. I really ought to keep track of the reviewers who do right by me.
  31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I appreciate thoughtful bad reviews, but not snarky ones that are clearly agenda-driven.
  32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose? Ancient Hebrew and Ancient Greek.
  33. Most intimidating book you've ever read? I just finally finished Cry, the Beloved Country a few weeks ago after years of trying. It wasn't intimidating, just very slow. Honestly, I'm trying to think of a book I won't read because I'm afraid of it....
  34. Most intimidating book you're too nervous to begin? Oops, I sort of jumped the gun here. The only book I've been holding out on is The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. I just feel like I need zero distraction to 'go there.'
  35. Favorite poet? Shakespeare.
  36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? Probably hovers around 10.
  37. How often have you returned a book to the library unread? Probably around 10% of what I check out goes unused.
  38. Favorite fictional character? There are way too many for me to list here.
  39. Favorite fictional villain? There are far too many of those to list here as well.
  40. Books I'm most likely to take on holiday? Short stories or essays, but mostly these days I take magazines so I can pitch them as I go. Or I get a book on my Nook if I'm gone for awhile.
  41. The longest I've gone without reading: I'm ALWAYS reading. It's not always a book, but I seriously don't go without reading ever.
  42. Name a book that you could/would not finish: The most recent unfinished book that I hated was The Story of Ain't, by David Skinner. It sounded good, but turned out not to be what I expected at all.
  43. What distracts you easily when you're reading? TV, music that I know too well, discomfort.
  44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel? Some of the Harry Potter movies were really stellar, and the first Hunger Games one was good as well. I also liked "The English Patient" though I never could figure out how they managed turning the book into the movie.
  45. Most disappointing film adaptation? Pretty much ... the rest.
  46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time? When I was in college, I dropped a fast $400 most semesters. English + History + Spanish lit classes are fuckin' killer.
  47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? I ... don't? I don't think? I read the blurb.
  48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through? Here's a hint: if it has been sitting fallow for too long, it's time to throw it back.
  49. Do you like to keep your books organised? Nope. I like the disorder. Only at work am I hung up on this concept.
  50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you've read them? I buy so few of my own that I usually keep them because I bought them knowing I'd keep them.
  51. Are there any books you've been avoiding? Anything with 7 zillion holds promises to be something I avoid. Yes, I do have the latest Dan Brown book on hold, but I read his others before anyone knew about them.
  52. Name a book that made you angry: I once threw a Sara Paretsky book across the room after finishing it. I can't remember which one. I often find myself furious while reading her books, but that's because I agree with her. I'm pretty sure I'd throw any current Patricia Cornwell nowadays too. They have become absolutely dreadful.
  53. A book you didn't expect to like but did? John Steinbeck's shorter books--Toritilla Flat and Cannery Row--were just excellent after trying to wade through Grapes of Wrath.
  54. A book that you expected to like but didn't? I have had some of my favorite mystery writers pull fast ones on me. The winner here is the aforementioned Cornwell. I haven't liked any of her books for over a decade, and I used to love reading Scarpetta. And I have tried Jane Austen so many different times, with so many different titles, but I just canNOT stand them!
  55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading? Formulaic mystery fiction. I really have enjoyed the Chet & Bernie mysteries, for instance.

2 sweet-talkers :

ShellyS said...

Interesting answers. I loved Cannery Row and the sequel, of sorts, Sweet Thursday. Read them in high school, but on my own, not as an assignment.

Kwizgiver said...

Consider this swiped! I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.