Saturday, December 10, 2011

Patrick's Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday 6

1. While going through old boxes, you find an old library book of which you are very fond, but you realize that it was a library book. You assume that the library has long-since written the book off as a loss because it has been boxes away for 20 years or more, and the book carries a great deal of sentimental value for you. Would you return the book or keep it?
Really, Patrick?
I'd probably keep it at this point, but I would call the library and see if it's still on my record there. The reality is that when people DO this with any regularity, their credit rating goes in the dumper and it may mean stopping in the middle of buying a house to run to the owning library to make restitution for the materials they've STOLEN. This happened to someone I know while buying a house in California. Moral: don't steal.
2. You visit one of your closest friends who is battling a terminal illness. It's clear he or she will not survive, but is in a lot of pain. Your friend begs you to briefly disconnect life support long enough for death to come. If there is no way your intervention could be discovered and no way you could face any kind of prosecution, would you grant your friend's request?
I would call hospice, and an attorney, and in the meantime ask why my friend hadn't gotten around to creating a Medical Power of Attorney, a DNR order at the hospital, and/or a Living Will . Had s/he done this, s/he would not have been connected to any intrusive live-saving equipment in the first place.
3. You have the chance to be in a parade and ride on a float supporting a cause you believe in, but you can't appear in any kind of disguise or costume: which cause's float would you most likely be comfortable selecting?
Look, if I believed in something enough to appear in a float in a parade, I wouldn't bother with a disguise in the first place. That goes for the parades I have marched in with Little League and Girl Scouts and my church, and Bigger Issues like Feminism, Peace, LGBT, etc.
4. Your company's top executive team arrives for a surprise visit, and selects you and a handful of other employees to meet with one-on-one in an attempt to get the pulse of their employees and to uncover any problems within the organization. How honest are you likely to be about your answers when they ask about specific problems you know exist, even if it means that friends you work with could lose their jobs over what you say?
I wouldn't be dishonest in that case, but I also would choose not to answer directly. If the big guys are in town on a fact-finding mission in this economy, they are looking for which heads to chop off, so I'm just keeping mine down.
IRL, this wouldn't happen because a) I work for municipal government, so there IS no "out-of-town" big shots, and b) they've already sliced well into the bone in terms of cutting so I'm saying nothing about anyone who is left!
5. You find yourself slated to be a guest on a talk show: which host, living or dead, would you most like to be interviewed by, and why would you choose that host?
I loved Phil Donahue; he was serious, honest, passionate and smart.
6. Your church decides to take part in a political protest, and it seems that nearly everyone feels the same way about the issue. You, however, do not share their view. At the risk of being ostracized, would you deny to participate, or would you search for a way to quietly assist, without being out in front?
Count me out. I'm not gonna conform, ESPECIALLY in church, if I feel something is wrong. If I'm ostracized, AT CHURCH, for refusing to participate in something morally repugnant to me, then I'm changing churches. Why the HELL did I stay in this church in the first place?!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.