Monday, July 5, 2010

Manic Monday

(Link in meme-roll)

Has reading a book ever changed your life? Which one and why, if yes?
I've read SO MANY books in my lifetime...thousands. Many of them have changed the way I look at things. Two that changed the way I look at reading were Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. I grew up with books I couldn't put down, but they were primarily 'modern' books; the Brontes rocked my world with their 100+ year old 'modernity' when I read them both in college. Another big one was The Book of Ruth.
Name one book you had to read but hated, and explain why you hated it.
My high school English class outright refused, as a group, to read Cry, the Beloved Country after about 3 chapters: too far outside our range of experience. I never finished Moby Dick (after reading over 1000 pages), or Gone With the Wind (same scenario); the former was just dead boring and the latter was stupid. I crapped out of Grapes of Wrath as well because of the chapters between the 'action' bits about the laaaannnnddddd....omg, shoot me! I also never finished The Deerslayer (nottthiiinnnnggggg happpennnnnssss). That's just the Lit-ruh-chuh. I've thrown back innumerable books written more recently; No Patience With Boring. I need plot, or at least decent characterizations.
If you could pick a book you’ve read to make into a movie, which one would you choose?
I would love to see the Jasper Fforde "Thursday Next" series on film because, frankly, I fear it's undoable. Maybe Terry Gilliam...or Tim Burton. But otherwise, yeah, unlikely but fun as hell to try!

3 sweet-talkers :

kontan said...

Grapes of Wrath made my list of omg really reads. I really want to get through Wuthering Heights, but just haven't forced my way. I plan to try again this summer.

Cat. said...

With W.H., it helps a lot to have a time-line of the story to refer to--lots of jumping around.

Kwizgiver said...

I loved Wuthering Heights. I've never heard of the Thursday Next series, I'll have to look them up.

;-)

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.