Friday, October 6, 2006

RevGal Friday Five

Civic Duties

1) How old were you when you voted for the first time?
My first election was the midterm congressional race in 1982. I was about 3 weeks shy of my 19th birthday. I voted absentee, and I had to rely on my mom to tell me who some of the candidates were since I was at college out of state. The only piece of advice I remember clearly--though I don't remember the context at all--was about abortion. Her words were, "So you know how to vote on that." I said yeah, and then 5 seconds later, I realized that I did indeed know, but my vote would cancel hers. And I realized she didn't know that.
2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot?
I have no idea. None whatsoever. So, in searching the web I came across this (it's a download). That was a big year: Colorado got a new congressional seat. Woo-hoo. It made SUCH an impression on me (not). I probably voted for Swigert. I know we went to Central Presb. Church to hear him speak; I didn't realize he was campaigning. I was too much in love with the church to listen properly. Anyway. He's probably the last Republican I voted for, cleanly. I voted for Bob Dole in the '96 primary specifically as a political ploy: I knew Clinton could beat him in the fall.
3) Can you walk to your polling place?
I probably could, but because of the bizarro way the roads (don't) intersect around here, I'd have to hike overland through people's yards. Which, generally, people frown on. So I drive the 1/4 mile (which is more like 1/2 mile by road). What a waste.
4) Have you ever run for public office?
Nope. This is not a dream of mine. I value my time and my privacy too much.
5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board?
In school I was an officer in various clubs in high school and college, and co-manager of the campus radio station my senior year of college. I've got a plaque around here somewhere.... Oh, and I was elected to Session last year, but since no one was running "against" me, I'm not sure that actually counts.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.