Saturday, September 23, 2006

RevGal Friday Five

Boo-Boo Alert [there is an adorable picture at this link]

1) Are you a baby about small injuries?
Not as much as I used to be, but yeah.....pretty much.
2) What's the silliest way you have ever hurt yourself?
So many choices from which to pick...

Probably the dumbest thing was jamming my finger into the floor at about age 11 while trying to smack my brother in the leg. He was dragging me around, or something-something (I don't remember--he loved to torture me), and I was trying to get him to stop. I'm sure I connected a couple of times before he moved his leg out of the way. The momentum of my intent carried my hand past his leg and jammed my left middle finger into the floor in the hallway of the house. It's still bent slightly to the left (my right middle finger is also bent, but that's another story).
3) Who took care of your boo-boos when you were a child?
My mom up to a point, and then me. I never had a really bad injury, though there were a couple of times I remember getting so upset about something that my dad had to lift me upside down over the bathtub to get me to start breathing again. I've just realized the bathtub was in case I threw up, not because it's some magical breathing place! Other than that, Dad stayed out of the injury business; his advice was, when blood was involved, either let it bleed or (on a finger or arm) suck on it to make the blood stop. It's obviously better that he didn't get involved too much!

Then there was Mom's Balsam Peru....that's why I stopped telling her about injuries and managed them myself.
4) Are you a good nurse when others have boo-boos?
I'm a mom. Of course I am. I'm not a big "Are you hurt? OhmyGOD! Are you ok?!" person, but if there is a clear injury, I deal with it pretty matter-of-factly. Beast calls it "going clinical" and he does it too: first aid training or something. Assess the situation, deal with the most dangerous part of the problem first, etc.
5) What's the worst accidental injury you've suffered? Did it require a trip to the Emergency Room?
I've been to the emergency room for myself exactly twice: once was because of acute pain my my lower abdomen which eventually led to surgery, and the other was because of an allergic reaction to thyroid meds which led to having to have a epinephrine shot (not much of a party, by the way, unless you enjoy feeling like you are going to shake loose all your organs and vomit them through your skin). I don't think those count as injuries.

The worst injury I've ever had....there hasn't been anything that awful, just a tremendous number of hard falls on my right knee. Hello Dr. Arthrocope. I'll be making an appointment in about 10 years, just after Beast gets his knees dealt with.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.