Monday, May 1, 2006

?otw

Baptism

Yesterday I worshiped in a congregation that I did not belong to and had never worshiped in before. The service included the baptism of two infants and I was drawn back to a question I have grappled with for years. Is it ok, appropriate, or faithful to answer the questions asked of the congregation during a baptism at a congregation to which you do not belong and a community in which you do not live, work, or spend any time?
For me, this is a no-brainer. If you posit that the Church is all one community under Christ, then the fact of physical or social distance between congregations becomes much less of an issue. I especially gleefully answer the questions asked during baptism at churches in which I'm banned from received sacraments.

But seriously, in this case, when you may not see this child in your own church, I feel you are still obligated to agree to support her in the faith. There is a chance that she will move to your area and attend your church. There is a chance that you will be called upon to serve with her when she attains adulthood. Think of it as a proxy situation; wouldn't you want visitors at your church to give their support to your child at her baptism?

I don't see this as a binding contract between you and that specific child so much as a reminder that we are all in this together. We are called to support one another, whether we know each other (or even whether we agree 100% with each other), or not.

Of course, there are some churches which do not posit that we are all one Church community under Christ. I'm not sure what I'd do then. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable even attending a church like this, much less participating in sacraments or rituals.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.