Sunday, January 14, 2018

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
Conversation Starters

1. What are some small things that make your day better?
Absurdity. Laughing about silly things. When you realize you're on a roll/in the zone. Hugs. Getting a big, looming project finished.
2. What shows are you into?
I mostly only watch reruns of M*A*S*H and Criminal Minds, and (when I remember) Live PD these days. Most of my sitting-around time is currently spent on listening to podcasts. I'm afraid I've become rather addicted.
3. What TV channel doesn’t exist but really should?
You mean we haven't covered all the aspects of the world yet? Because it certainly feels like, at it's all boring.
4. Who has impressed you most with what they’ve accomplished?
Lots and lots of people. Frankly, most people I know. I would say that anyone over the age of 50 with a sense of humor, and anyone over the age of 75 who is kind and not 100% self-involved; those people are amazing.
5. What age do you wish you could permanently be?
8 was good. Can I add just a dash more self-confidence to me at that age, though?
6. What TV show or movie do you refuse to watch?
I can't get through A Clockwork Orange; I can't even get through the first 10 minutes. Also ANY horror movie. Just NOPE.
7. What is something that is considered a luxury, but you don’t think you could live without?
Seriously, literally, could not live without? I don't actually have anything luxurious that I couldn't, indeed haven't, lived without. Also, who is doing the considering here? I mean, I see a lot of homeless people at work would probably would love to have my "luxurious" furnace currently warming my house to a temperature that means I don't have to worry about frostbite on my naked hands.
8. What’s your claim to fame?
Speaking too soon.
9. What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
The age I'm at now, I guess mashing potatoes with an electric mixer is "old-fashioned" right? Otherwise, I guess it's probably something like not buying things on credit.
10. What’s your favorite genre of book or movie?
Mysteries. I love me some mysteries. Give me a good mysterious dead body with a clever and interesting detective in the vicinity, and I'm in.
11. How often do you people-watch?
Every day. People are fascinating. There's no getting around that fact.
12. What have you only recently formed an opinion about?
My part in furthering racism. I'd like to say it's nothing to do with me, but I gotta get real: I've benefited from the ingrained unfairness of our current system, at least as much as it has harmed me.
13. What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of?
Very early Christian history, like the years between Jesus' birth and the first time any of the New Testament was actually written down.
14. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
Beijing.
15. What is the most heartwarming thing you’ve ever seen?
On a regular basis, interactions between dogs and their human family/ies make my heart happy.
16. What is the most annoying question that people ask you?
At work: "I'm looking for a book...." (first of all, it's not a question; second of all, I am surrounded by 154,000 of them so WTF really?)
Outside of work: "How's Beast?" from people who are within half an hour of where he's living and haven't bothered to visit him in the past 6 weeks.
17. What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?
Assorted podcasts, the Dewey Decimal system, MARC cataloging rules, the medical/insurance/healthcare situation in our country, how awesome kids are (and by kids, I mean anyone my son's age and younger).
18. If you were dictator of a small island nation, what crazy dictator stuff would you do?
I'd probably enforce a Drop Everything And Read period for the entire population every day for like at least 20 minutes. Quiet, and reading, everyday. Fines if you don't do it. I could set it up like the IRS, only in reverse: you can earn credits for reading more regularly, and trade them in for coffee and chocolate.
19. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
As an adult, be completely dependent on someone else (preferably someone you love who loves you) for at least 3-4 days. And the obverse: have another adult be completely dependent on YOU for some period of time. Both are deeply moving and eye-opening experiences.

1 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I love #18! And #19 is profound.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.