Monday, November 10, 2014

Saturday 9 (late)

(Link in meme-roll)
Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? (1932)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Bing Crosby wants a dime for food. Adjusted for inflation, 10¢ in 1932 is now worth $1.69. Can you think of anything you could buy at the grocery story with $1.69?
Several cans of vegetables/fruit. Generic cereal. A 2-liter bottle of brand sodapop. Some fresh produce (not much). It'll also buy you a breakfast burrito at McDonalds with money leftover.
2) This song was originally released as a 78 rpm record. Have you ever seen a 78?
We OWN several 78s! Beast's dad had a couple of dozen that he (mostly) transferred to CD, but we still have the originals. In their original sleeves in a couple of cases. And yes, should we wish to, we could even play them.
3) In 1932, Jean Harlow was Hollywood's glamor queen. Who do you think sets the standard for glamor today?
Probably Angelina Jolie. Or Princess Kate. I don't know, it's not my bailiwick.
4) One of 1932's best selling books was Agatha Christie's Peril at End House. She remains popular today. Are you familiar with her work?
Uh, yeah, I've read a LOT of Dame Aggie's works. This one doesn't ring a bell, but I've probably read it.
5) This week's featured artist, Bing Crosby, worked as a caddy when he was 12 and continued to enjoy time on the golf course his entire life. What type of exercise do you do most often?
I'm really good at running late.
6) Bing had twin sons, Dennis and Philip. Many people believe that the propensity for twins is hereditary. Are there twins in your family?
Nope. Thank God for small favors!
7) Bing's daughter, Mary Crosby, has her own place in TV history. Do you know why?
I do now, but I had forgotten she was a nighttime soap actress back in the day.
8) In the mid 1970s, Crosby and his family did commercials for Minute Maid. Do you have any orange juice in your refrigerator?
Nope. I got more than enough orange juice as a child. Unless it came out of the orange in the last 10 minutes, I'll pass.  
9) Now for something completely random: Do you like beef jerky?
I do. And yes, that is totally random.

2 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I run early. Or on time. I don't often run late. It makes me jittery.

Cat. said...

I used to always be early, but then the Internet and Facebook happened. ;-)

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.