Saturday, October 18, 2014

Patrick's Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday Six

1. You see that someone you’re talking to has a piece of spinach in her teeth. Would you say something or pretend you don’t notice?
I absolutely tell her! I also try to be somewhat discreet about it if possible. Why on earth would anyone NOT say something? After all, what's worse than having spinach in your teeth? Having spinach in your teeth several hours after lunch!
2. You overhear a mom creating a scene in a grocery store and using profanity while yelling at her child. Would you say something to the mom or would you feel it was none of your business?
This happens semi-regularly at work, and since I'm in a position of 'authority' there I usually wander past and look sympathetically at the kid and glare at the mom. I'd probably do that at the store too. If it's really out of control or looks like it's about to get physical, I might step in and say something like, "I think you dropped a coupon" and hand the mom one, or offer a Kleenex to the mom for the kid to use, or mention that Mom has spinach on her teeth. ;)
There's also the option of putting my phone next to my ear as I walk past them and saying, "[Child Protective Services], yes, I have a report to make..." If it really looked like a completely crazy situation, I might dial 911 for real.
I do worry that getting involved directly may make things worse once the parent is out of the store and alone with the kid. I know this happens in abusive adult relationships when people stand up for the victim. It may actually be better to ask if she can help you find something in the "feminine products" aisle and get her away from the guy to see if she wants help.
3. You overhear a child creating a scene in a grocery store and using profanity while yelling at his mom. Would you say something to the mom or would you feel it was none of your business?
I'd totally say something to the kid! "Who, exactly, is paying for these groceries? You, or her?" or (more succintly) "What the hell, dude?" The interesting thing in this sort of situation is how often the parent jumps on whoever gets involved and tells them to STFU. Of course, this assumes the kid is young and/or small. If it's a big thuggy-looking kid, I think I'd do the above "feminine products" trick with the mom.
4. You see a child shoplift a toy and notice the parent doesn’t see it. Would you say something to the parent, the child, store management, or no one?
Kind of depends on the item, I guess. I'd try to catch the kid's eye and raise my eyebrows at them. If they have any conscience at all, that's usually going to be enough, especially if I look like I'm going to talk to her dad. If I get a sassy look back, I might ask dad if I could swap for it since I was looking for "that very color" or whatever and I just saw his angel pick up the one I wanted.
5. You see an apparently homeless man shoplift something at a store. Would you say something to the man, the store manager, or no one?
Again, depends on the item. Booze = "MANAGER!" Fresh fruit or something like that and I'm staying mum. Generally, I'd probably not say anything directly to the shoplifter though; one never knows what's going to set off Teh CuhRAYzee.
6. You see a homeless man outside a restaurant begging for food and you happen to have an extra $10 in your pocket. Would you buy him lunch, hand him the cash, or do nothing?
I'd buy him lunch. At least, I hope I would. I think I sometimes get a little too wrapped up in 'how busy' I am and don't notice what's going on around me.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.