Sunday, September 21, 2014

Patrick's Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday Six

1. When you walk to a light switch, do you “turn off” the lights or do you “cut off” the lights?
"Cutting off" lights to me means turning the electricity completely off usually because of moving house or unpaid bills. Mostly we "turn off" and occasionally "shut off" the lights when we leave the room.
2. When nature calls, do you sit on a “toilet” or a “commode”?
It's a "toilet" which is in the bathroom. Unless I'm overseas in which case it's a "toilet" in the loo, because often the bathroom is a separate room where bathing and toothbrushing happens. I think my parents called it a "commode" once in awhile.
3. Do you call those little bugs that seem to light up “fireflies” or “lightning bugs”?
Either. I didn't grow up with them, so I follow whatever people around me use. Beast says "lightning bugs" (I just asked him), so I probably say that more often.
4. Do you “mash” buttons or “press” them?
Honestly, these days I "poke" or "hit" them, but "press" is the usual polite term.
5. When referring to denim pants, do you call them “jeans” or “dungarees”?
Ahh, this brings back a great memory from my sisters' childhoods. To answer the question, I call them "jeans" exclusively. My mom let (or rather, insisted that) my sisters--all of whom were born in the 1940s--change into play clothes after church on Sundays. Her mother-in-law thought it was scandalous that they were wearing "dungarees" on a SUNDAY!!! So that drama was apparently why I wasn't allowed to wear jeans to school....in 1972-1982.
6. Do you stand in a “line” or “queue” when waiting for something?
"Line." The only time I "queue" is in England, and when I'm being snobbish. And, by the way, I get IN lines, not on them.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.