Friday, May 8, 2009

Memorable (by which I mean "influential")

Found at Shelly's....

This can be a quick one. Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.
  1. The Little House (Virginia Burton)
  2. "The Little House books" (Laura Ingalls Wilder) -- can't pick just one, but the first and last of the original 7 are my favorites
  3. The Secret of the Old Clock (Carolyne Keene)
  4. Heidi (Joanna Spyri)
  5. Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
  6. The Hiding Place (Corrie Ten Boom)
  7. Plays and Poems (William Shakespeare) -- I haven't read them all, but all those I have read, I adore
  8. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
  9. The Yellow Wallpaper (Charlotte Perkins Gilman)
  10. The Chocolate War (Robert Cormier)
  11. A Marginal Jew (John P. Meier) -- and multiple others of this ilk, but this is a multivolume work that covers the subject thoroughly; the latest volume is sitting here waiting for my attention
  12. Bitter Medicine (Sara Paretsky) -- this is the ONLY book I've ever thrown across the room at the end...the story made me so angry!
  13. The Book of Ruth (Jane Hamilton)
  14. Plainsong (Kent Haruf)
  15. The Bible
This is more or less in the order in which they were read, not in the order of memorability or influence on my life. The biggest gun is the last one, of course, followed by #s 2, 6, 9 and 11.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.