Friday, November 21, 2008

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five

(Link in blogroll)
Mix and Stir

"In a minor domestic crisis, my food processor, or more precisely the part you use for almost everything for which I use a food processor, picked the eve of the festive season of the year to give up the ghost. A crack in the lid expanded such that a batch of squash soup had to be liberated via that column shaped thing that sticks up on top.

Can you tell this is not my area of strength?

Next week, I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I need your help. Please answer the following kitchen-related questions:"

1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
I do not. Have not ever. I chop the old-fashioned way. Have considered the possibility and then realized that I don't cook enough to justify having one, and I don't have any serious place to keep it. It would be just one more annoying thing to have to store.
2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
And that is why...(see above)
When we bought our last grill, it came with a rotisserie. That was 6 or 7 years ago, and the rotisserie has never been used and continues to take up space in a drawer.
Don't have a bread machine either.
3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?
I have a standing mixer. The hand-held ones are too lightweight for mixing the amount of potatoes I make, which is about all I use the mixer for. Occasionally I'll make a cake or cookies, but not often enough to justify all the bowls and gadgets. (It came with bread kneaders--I used 'em once...just easier to hand-knead!)
4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
We have one we got as a wedding gift. That would be 22 years ago. It still works fine, the 3 times a year I use it. I'd get rid of it, but then I'd have to buy a food processor. ;-)
5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
"Enjoy"?? Hah. I like knives, and our Whetstone-on-a-Stick.
Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
We only use the fondue pot/forks at Christmas/New Year's. Family tradition, and all.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.