Friday, November 14, 2008

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five

(Link in blogroll)
Remembrance

This week's Friday Five invites reflection on the theme of remembrance, which is also present in the feasts of All Saints, celebrated in many liturgical churches on November 1, and All Souls--known in Latin@ cultures as the Day of the Dead--celebrated in some the following day.

1. Did your church have any special celebrations for All Saints/All Soul's Day?
I don't think so. I was out of town, and we didn't go to my sister's church either. We used to, but that was with another pastor; our current one doesn't really go in for it, I think.
2. How about Veterans' Day?
I would say that it would be highly unlikely.
3. Did you and your family have a holiday for Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day? If so, how did you take advantage of the break?
Our school district had conferences last week, so there was no school after noon on Thursday until Wednesday this week. We always get Veteran's Day off.... Anyway, this year, Sparky & I flew to Colorado to see my oldest sister and her husband, and my mom.
4. Is there a veteran in your life, living or dead, whose dedication you remember and celebrate? Or perhaps a loved one presently serving in the armed forces?
My dad was a WWII vet who worked here in the states on bomb sights. My father-in-law is a veteran who served in Germany in the 50s. But generally, I honor all soldiers present and past because I know I certainly could never do what they are doing and have done. I also, by the way, honor their families, because that's not a picnic either.
5. Do you have any personal rituals which help you remember and connect with loved ones who have passed on?
I have some personal belongings of my sister Ellen and my dad. I have my dad's parents' Bibles, which is interesting, but since I barely knew them it's not really remembrance, just connection.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.