Friday, September 26, 2008

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five

(Link in blogroll)
Johnny Appleseed

Raise your hand if you know that today is Johnny Appleseed Day!

September 26, 1774 was his birthday. "Johnny Appleseed" (John Chapman) is one of America's great legends. He was a nurseryman who started out planting trees in western New York and Pennsylvania, but he was among those who were captivated by the movement west across the continent.

As Johnny traveled west (at that time, the "West" was places like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois) he planted apple trees and sold trees to settlers. With every apple tree that was planted, the legend grew. A devout Christian, he was known to preach during his travels. According to legend, Johny Appleseed led a simple life and wanted little. He rarely accepted money and often donated any money he received to churches or charities. He planted hundreds of orchards, considering it his service to humankind. There is some link between Johny Appleseed and very early Arbor Day celebrations.

So, in honor of this interesting fellow, let's get on with the questions!


1. What is your favorite apple dish? (BIG BONUS points if you share the recipe.)
Apple Crumble. It is absolutely the easiest dessert to make, hands down. Here's a recipe that's basically the one I use.
2. Have you ever planted a tree? If so was there a special reason or occasion you can tell us about?
I've planted lots of trees. One must always plant an empty tin can and a fish in the hole with the tree, by the way. It's good luck. Or something.
3. Does the idea of roaming around the countryside (preaching or otherwise) appeal to you? Why or why not?
No. I like to know where I'm going to be, and I like my home. I'm not a non-stop roamer, though I do like to travel. If I could travel in an RV, that would be fine...for awhile.
4. Who is a favorite "historical legend" of yours?
I always had a thing for Paul Bunyan. And also John Henry. Who wouldn't love a steel-drivin' man? :-)
5. Johnny Appleseed was said to sing to keep up his spirits as he traveled the roads of the west. Do you have a song that comes when you are trying to be cheerful, or is there something else that you often do?
I whistle a lot, not necessarily to cheer myself up. If I were traveling, I have to say I'd probably be doing "This Land is My Land" a lot.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.