Sunday, July 15, 2007

Situation Sunday

(Link at left)

Situation #1} A friend of yours is having surgery; it is not life threatening and they shall be fine in a week. But they live alone and really need a friend to be there with them the first 2 days of being home. They are scared and might need your help. They have no family that lives in the same state. They live in another county than you. They ask you to stay with them. Your boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse is totally jealous of you not being "home" and they forbid you in going. Realize that nothing you say to your significant other will help or make it better. What do you do?
I'd stay home because that's where my loyalty lies, but I'd find someone else to stay with my friend: another friend, a hired nurse, someone. In reality, this would never happen, because Beast would never...EVER...forbid me. He would find a boot up his ass if he tried. Because I made a point of omitting the word "obey" from the marriage vows. Also, Beast is possibly the least envious person I've ever met.
Situation #2} You have dated this person and for one reason or another you are broken up. Time goes by and you are with another but yet you have unresolved feelings for this person. A close friend of your wants to date them. Could you stand by and remain friends with that person even thou it hurts you...?
Of course! What would be difficult would be if the person I'm still crushing on gets hurt by my friend in the relationship. But since that's not part of the situation as given, I'm not going to answer that! :-)
Situation #3} Your parent is getting up there in age. They have always been very independent, and refuse to stop doing things after clearly they can't. They want to continue to drive, even if it means going 35 miles a hour. How do you stop them and take away the keys?.....They tell you if you try to stop them they will take you out of their will and disown you. What do you do?
Huh. Been here, bought the T-shirt...in fact I have a whole wardrobe of shirts like this.

Enlist the help of a family friend, clergy member, or doctor (we chose the doctor in our case). Make them be the bad guy (or gal), but it has to be someone the parent respects.

As for the will...feh. Mom's broke. Go ahead and write me out of the will; there's no estate left!
Situation #4} You have booked this holiday reservation at this resort that promises every thing perfect. Pool- golf- 5 star restaurant. Excellent service. You have paid in advance and look forward to it. You get there and it falls way short of your expectations. The pool is filled with pond water and not chemically treated. The golf course is overgrown with weeds and not maintained.....The 5 star restaurant actually serves Kraft Macaroni and cheese. They refuse to give you anything back......your only vacation of the year.....what do you do?
Hey, I like Kraft mac-n-cheese! :-)
I'd definitely hit the Better Business Bureau and if I'd truly spent the big dollars, I'd take 'em to (small claims) court with all the documentation, publicity, photos taken at the resort, etc. There might even be a chance at a class-action lawsuit if it really was horrible; other customers would feel the same way.

However...the chances of me booking this sort of thing in the first place are somewhere between slim and none on the possibility meter. And, honestly, I don't play golf, or swim, and I'll eat almost anything (unless it makes me sick). The one thing I'd be pretty adamant about is the sleeping arrangements. Having just returned from vacation and ten nights in hotel rooms, I've discovered that I'm getting VERY fussy about cleanliness, especially in terms of my allergies. There was only one hotel room clean enough that I didn't have to take Benedryl to sleep. Very disappointing. In the past, I have walked into a room and gone directly to a phone to say I couldn't stay in that room because of allergens (in that case, smoke).

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.