Thursday, November 17, 2005

Getting to Know

I found this in a small-town newspaper awhile back and have been meaning to put it in here. It seems they do this Q/A with locals every week.

Place of employment and title:
W Public Library, Head of Technical Services/General Reference
Birthplace:
Porter Memorial Hospital, Denver, CO
My fondest childhood memory:
Going to the mountains to visit our 'cabin' (actually a converted garage/car repair shop with one bedroom, a galley kitchen and a bathroom that didn't usually work). My parents let me wander around the area alone, or alone with my terrier, for hours at a time without checking up on me. Imagine!
Favorite book:
Killer question. The "Little House" books. "The Hiding Place." "The Book of Ruth." The Narnia books. Lots of mysteries over the years....
Favorite hobby:
Reading. Followed distantly by crossword puzzles.
Favorite movie:
Anything with a good plot that doesn't take itself too seriously. I've especially liked "Heathers," "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," "Young Frankenstein" and (surprisingly, to me) the Matrix movies.
The craziest thing I've ever done:
The scariest thing was getting in a car in Puerta Vallarta, at age 16, with three friends and two local guys. I didn't have my glasses, we were all in swimsuits, and no idea where we were going. They thought we were party girls; we were just stupid. They drove us back to our hotel after about 30 minutes of quiet insistence on our part.
Pet peeve:
People who think they are the center of the universe
First job:
For a paycheck: shelving books at the Englewood Public Library
For free: I worked for free for my dad whenever he needed an extra pair of hands (welding, holding tools, stuffing envelopes...)
What I'd like to be doing in 10 years:
Cataloging. Working full-time and accruing some pension money! Traveling (Sparky will be out of college--we hope!--by then)
For one day, I'd like to trade places with:
Laura Bush. And I'd better get some warning, cuz I'll be packing some very pointy-toed boots.
I've always wanted to travel to:
only freakin' everywhere! Uhm...Australia
To relieve stress, I:
do crosswords, cry, watch totally mindless TV
Three words that describe me:
worrier, Pollyanna-ish, overbooked
The person I most admire:
my dad
My friends like me because:
I listen, I laugh, I cry, I feed them.
Behind my back they say:
[don't I wonder!]
probably that I need to get organized, take a chill-pill, and stop speaking before I think
I'd give anything to meet:
Jimmy & Rosalyn Carter
My most embarrassing moment:
this should be limited by time or something--I have them every day....so, speaking generally, I'll say it's something like talking about someone only to turn around and find them standing behind me
I love the town I live in because:
I actually don't. See, this is the reason I'd never be able to do this interview for our local paper. Generally speaking, I think W is ingrown, putzy, retarded, and unfriendly. The nice people are the newest ones in town, the ones who don't know any better. That's the town in which I work. The town in which I live is almost worse: Redneck Central, and only the bad parts of Rednecks. We have nice neighbors--which is more than we could say for most of the time we lived in W!--and I love my house and yard. I love the view, and I love my job (in W). I do not want to live here until I die, though.

Maybe I should have mentioned somewhere above that I'm an opinionated crank...?



ANYWAY: consider yourself tagged if you've read this far.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.