Saturday, April 29, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
I Won't Last a Day without You (1972)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.*

1) This song makes reference to rainbows. Have you seen one lately?
It hasn't been sunny around here during rain lately. No rainbows. Just a lot of water falling down. OTOH, several gay friends post rainbows regularly on Facebook, so....
2) When Sam heard this song, it occurred to her that she wouldn't last a day without a game of online Yahtzee. What little commonplace pleasure reliably brightens your day?
I have my crosswords and Nook games at bedtime that soothe me into restfulness.
3) Richard Carpenter was emphatic that his group's name was "Carpenters," NO "the." Whenever he hears the group referred to as "The Carpenters," it gets on his nerves. What little commonplace annoyance reliably sets you off?
"Jew-ler-ee" is not a word. Neither are "Lye-ber-ree", "N(y)oo-ku-lur" or "Ho-made." That last one is at least mildly amusing.
4) Karen Carpenter said she drank iced tea all day long. What beverage do you think you'll have with your next meal?
Diet Dr. Pepper. I suppose you could count the big handful of raw walnuts as lunch, and I'm currently drinking DDP.
5) "I Won't Last a Day without You" was written by Oscar-winning composer Paul Williams. He also tried his hand at acting, most notably appearing with Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit. Back in the 1970s, the three movies in the Smokey series were very popular. Have you seen any of them?
Uh, yeah, hello! I was on the young end of the prime demographic for watching Burt Reynolds in his heyday. I've always thought he and Sally (Field) were the perfect couple. ...sigh
6) This song was recorded in 1973 by Diana Ross. Now in her 70s, Miss Ross is still going strong with a busy calendar of appearances in 2017. What's your favorite Diana Ross song?
I've been hearing "I'm Coming Out" quite regularly lately on Spotify (see footnote below), but my favorite is "MacArthur Park" just because it's so freakin' over-the-top and melodramatic! I worry about that cake being out in the rain...
7) In 1972, the year this song was popular, the United States and the United Kingdom joined forces and launched the Copernicus satellite. Today it's remembered for the discovery of long-period pulsars. Crazy Sam got bored writing this question. Do you enjoy reading about science?
Not astronomy. Beast is the Science Stud in my house, though I enjoy some biology/physiology stuff. Chemistry, physics, astronomy....yaaaaawwnnnnnn! My niece is an astrophysicist and even SHE doesn't work in her field!
8) Before Michael Phelps, Mark Spitz was American's premier Olympic swimmer. In 1972 he won seven Gold Medals. After making millions in endorsements and TV appearances, he settled into a career as a realtor in Los Angeles. Are you contemplating a change in residence any time soon? If you move, will you be consulting a realtor?
Mark Spitz is a realtor!? (hey, there's another word that is on my list of peeves: it's "ree-uhl-tor" not "ree-luh-tur"!) OK, the thought of moving makes me physically ill, but I think we need to start being realistic. Beast struggles up our stairs, and there are a lot of them--7 to get to the main floor from outside, 15 to the 2nd floor bedrooms, another 7 down to the basement--and I worry that I'm going to find him dead at the bottom one day after a fall. He, of course, wants to stay put here. And before we really consider moving, we need to repaint and replace some floors. And then we'll call one of the many realtors we know, yes.
9) Random question: Which of these is completely, 100% UNTRUE of you -- boring, lazy or stupid?
I'm not 100% stupid. I have my blonde moments (my hair is going from dark brown to gray, so I'm getting closer to blonde these days anyway!), but I'm far lazier and more boring than I am stupid.
_____________
*Yet again, I heard this song this past week. We have to stop listening to the same Spotify, Sam!

5 sweet-talkers :

CountryDew said...

Sounds like you live in a split-level home. And your pronunciation pet-peeves mean you would not like my area at all - that's how it rolls off the tongue down here, I think.

I am Harriet said...

I agree with you on Realtor. It makes no sense

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I'm with you on #9 in that we both have had "Blond Moments".
I have done some really bone headed things in life.
Bedtime games are grand. There's one I liked called, Flow Free, to calm my mind down.

The Gal Herself said...

Love the way you worded it: "I'm far lazier and more boring than I am stupid." I think I shall ask for that on my business cards.

Cat. said...

I don't think you should use that if you're free-lancing, Gal. ;-)

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.