Saturday, October 29, 2016

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Tubular Bells (1973)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) According to Reader's Digest, The Exorcist is the scariest movie of all time. Have you seen it, and if so, did it scare you?
I was not yet 10 when it came out, but my brother went...and had to leave to throw up halfway through. He was more scared than his girlfriend. Anyway, I've read the book. It's scary. Not Stephen-King-scary, but pretty good. I don't "do" horror movies at all.
2) The Exorcist has been made into a TV series on Fox, premiering last month. Have you become a fan of any of the season's new shows?
Nope.
3) "Tubular Bells" is a popular ringtone for both Android and iPhone. What's your ringtone?
My default is a riff on "Who Are You" by The Who. My extended family gets Rachmaninoff, people to whom it applies get "Help Me Rhonda" or "Awesome God" or "Work Work" or "You've Got a Friend." Beast and Sparky share "The Sweetest Thing." All of which goes a long way toward saying I'm that nerdy.
4) As Halloween approaches, do you watch more scary shows and movies?
Nope. Well, I mean, most of what we watch has a Halloween-themed show every year, but no I don't do scary.
5) Do you have any recurring nightmares?
Nothing beyond 'trapped at work' dreams.
6) Have you carved a jack o' lantern this year?
Nope. Doubtful that we will, either. We need to go get a few punkins at least tho.
7) Do you like the taste of pumpkin seeds?
I do, but not enough to make my own.
8) What will the trick or treaters who knock on your door get?
Right now I've got all non-chocolate, non-nut stuff. We're on our way to get those punkins and I'll pick up another bag or two of candy as well.
9) A Halloween "let's pretend:" Back in the 1950s, a home in your neighborhood was the site of a gruesome murder/suicide. Relatives retained ownership of the house but declined to live there. During the ensuing decades, a legend grew: The tragic couple haunts the halls. Generations of schoolchildren insist they heard strange sounds and saw curtains often move mysteriously. Now the house is about to be demolished. A local charity is raising money by sponsoring a Halloween sleepover. Would you be willing to stay in this haunted house over night?
Sure.
Look, the first house we bought was the site of a murder-suicide by the just-previous owners. After moving in, we chose a dog from the pound and brought her home. She was never a fan of our bedroom--where the killing happened--so at first we thought about ghosts and woo-woo and all that. Then we took up the cheap carpet and discovered that the floor had never been properly cleaned underneath it, and the previous carpet pad wasn't replaced either. Once Beast--my hero, seriously--got the pad out and the floor cleaned and then sanded down and stained, our puppy was much happier about being in there with us. She just didn't like the scent of death.
So, no, I don't really believe in ghosts or hauntings, though I do believe that when something like this happens inside a house or other building, it does change the place in a non-physical way. Hard to explain what I mean, but it's not something I'm afraid of, just aware of.

4 sweet-talkers :

CountryDew said...

I understand exactly what you mean in your last answer.

The Gal Herself said...

Re: #9 -- I once dated a policeman who told me that smell is something he couldn't describe that smell but would never confuse it with anything else.

Cat. said...

Oh, good, I'm always glad to be understood when I'm not feeling coherent!

Gal: the weird thing was that WE couldn't smell anything!!

Kwizgiver said...

I love your ringtones!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.