started 8/22, 8:30 p.m.
901. Would you rather have a candle scented like blueberries and creme or butterscotch pecan pie?
Blueberries. I love blueberry candles.
902. Which ones are fruits and which are vegetables:
(but I'm guessing on several)
903. Does it annoy you when people talk loudly on their cell phones in public?
Not unless they're shouting into them. Or using them at full volume in an enclosed space for hours. I've ridden a train with a guy that pretty much told me everything about his coworkers, his passwords, and his bank account information. I also don't like when people talk on the phone while trying to check out books, pay for their groceries, or otherwise multitask and put other, live people on hold. It's annoying.
904. Is love a commitment to one person, or can you love more than one person at the same time?
I love a lot of people. Seems to me that's a good thing, in general. Everyone, of course, is loved differently.
And done, because getting this formatted took way too long -- 9:00 p.m.
It's been a long week...8/25 started 7:43 p.m. with no intention of finishing tonight
905. Cover or original:
Smooth Criminal; is it better by Michael Jackson or Alien Ant Farm? I have to go with the original.
Blue Monday better by Orgy or New Order I've never heard of a band called Orgy, so I'll stick with NWO.
I Want Candy; Is it better by Aaron Carter or Bow Wow Wow? It's unlikely I would ever say Aaron Carter is better than anyone else. And I do like the Bow Wow Wow version, truly.
Love Song; Is it better by 311 or The Cure? Don't know 311, not a fan of the Cure. Can I listen to something else?
It's My Life; Is it better by No Doubt or The Talking Heads? I'm too much of a traditionalist clearly, because I have to say Talking Heads, though I love No Doubt's sound generally.
906. What is the most uncomfortable feeling?
Physically or otherwise? Physically, it's no fun need to let loose a giant gas bubble and being afraid to do it in case it's also a loud, stinky one. So, holding it in....till it escapes, or you get to a bathroom.
907. Do you like Maroon 5?
I don't mind them, but they are not the first band I would queue up most days.
908. Would you ever go on a blind date TV show?
Absolutely not! I wouldn't even like going on a regular, untelevised blind date!
909. How much of your wardrobe is dry clean only?
910. Who's arms would you like to crawl into?
I would really like a hug from my dad. I'd take a hug from my mom too. Even Beast's parents... It's been a long week. Did I mention that?
911. What the hell is your problem?
Look, you can take your shirty little attitude right out that door over there. Or you can settle down and talk like a normal person. Take your pick.
912. Look around you. What is the most beautiful thing you can see?
There are a lot of nice things in my living room. I wouldn't say any of them are "beautiful" necessarily, but I like the fireplace (stone) and the card catalog end table and the lamp we 'inherited' from Mrs. Reed. [long story] Among several other things.
913. What is the most beautiful thing you can't see?
Other people's smiles. There was a stunningly gorgeous young father in the library the hour I was in the children's room today. Lovely elementary age daughter. It was about all I could do not to be all drooly, especially since they were right next to the service desk. That was pretty nice. Seriously, he and his daughter had beautiful hair....sigh.
914. Take a deep breath. Yawn deeply. Do you appreciate the things most people take for granted, like breathing?
I do. I actually do this exercise as often as I can remember to do it. Deep breaths feel good, and are good FOR you (inside and out).
915. Do you appreciate breathing more when you have a cold and you're all congested and can't breathe right?
916. Is congestion a positive thing because it helps you to appreciate breathing?
Congestion is only a positive thing in that it means my immune system is working hard at keeping me alive.
917. How is your life like a work of art?
Of late, it's been rather Jackson Pollack-y. Not my favorite style at all, but having read recently that Pollack's paintings actually have some mathematical-scientific structure behind them...it's kind of a nice feeling to think that my seemingly random and ridiculously weird life has a plot is a nice thought.
918. Do you feel that your life influences and is influenced by many other lives?
Yes. We talked about this at Bible Study this week, in fact.
919. Has a smile ever made all the difference in the world to you?
Yes. I remember thinking about this as I waited to see if having lost my passport was going to mean the cruise ship was going to sail without me. People were super kind, super helpful (to the extent they could be), and super-obviously thrilled when I found the damn thing in time to board!
920. Have you ever looked at a tree and considered how the roots could be miles long, trailing and entwining with other roots underground, all of them holding the soil together?
No, but I thought this about a shrub in my parents' backyard. We tried for a decade to kill that bush, and finally the only thing that did it was pouring gasoline on the ground where it sprouted every few days all one summer. Which of course meant nothing else would grow there for awhile either. That thing was an evil creature that would not die.
921. Do you notice the little things in life?
Only after I've tripped over them.
922. Do you feel, as Jung did, that deep down, underneath our individual personalities we are all the same?
I didn't realize that was Jung, but I do tend to agree that we are more alike than we are different.
923. Do you feel a great oneness with the universe?
Usually not. I mean, sure, there are moments, but all the time every day? Nope.
924. When was the last time you decided to really enjoy yourself?
I've been trying to make it a policy to take whatever enjoyment life hands me, even if it's scant and sort of hard to do. Why be more miserable than I need to be, after all? So I avoid news stories about Donald Trump, child and animal abuse, and the number of daily gunshot victims as much as I can. When I have to face things like that, they get my full attention for only a short period of time and then I "drop it like a hot rock" when I've done what I can.
925. When was the last time you set your self free and acted without caring at all what someone else thought?
It's been a V E R Y long time.... I hate that. I used to really do this a lot, but ... I don't feel safe doing it anymore. Maybe that will change.
926. Have you ever held someone and appreciated how delicate and fragile all life is and felt that they were even more precious and beautiful because one day they would die..and so will you?
I'm feeling a little like this might be aimed at the average 17-year-old. But yes. I am very appreciative of the people in my life and the fact that things change on a dime.
927. In ten years someone else might own your house and the room you are sitting in now. Someone else might be standing right next to where you are sitting now. So that means you could be standing right next to someone but you can't see him or her because they are ten years away.
Ever look at life like that?
OK. Sure. Not exactly, but yes, I have thought about how weird it would be to visit (for instance) the house in which I grew up and think about how I used to think about being an adult....
928. When was the last time you:
Soaked in a bubble bath Saturday? I think.
Read a good book outside Allergic season precludes this in the summer. So, maybe June. Definitely in April on the ship.
Held someone's hand Tuesday night for sure. Maybe yesterday or today? I don't remember.
Felt truly joyful Not this week. Saturday? I don't know. Life's a little fraught right now. Oh, hey: we babysat my niece's kids a couple of weekends ago. THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!
929. What do you bring to this world that no one else can?
I've been told my fingerprints are different from anyone else's so.
930. Do you feel that you are part of every living thing in this world and that all those things are part of you?
This meme is getting rather hippy dippy. Next you'll be saying we're all made of stardust....
931. Are you more afraid of death or not completely living?
I'm afraid of immense pain and having to face up to mistakes. Death. Life. Whatever.
932. What was the last thing you wanted to do but didn't or couldn't do?
Many's the time this month that I've wanted to get in the car with a bag of clothes, my Rx drugs, a credit card, and some CDs and just fucking drive. Far away. Alone.
933. Why don't you try and do that thing now?
Huh. Because I'm a responsible adult and probably codependent as hell, and chickenshit.
934. What is the most wonderful thing happening right now in the world?
My nephew is getting married in two weeks. And really, most people are not intent on killing one another, though the news media would have us believe differently.
935. Name 7 things going on around you that you normally wouldn't notice:
1. The clock on the wall is ticking.
2. The sun has gone down, though I can still see the outline of the house next door if I look carefully.
3. My feet are cold.
4. I would assume that my dinner is being digested apace.
5. Pinto is undoubtedly sleeping, dreaming of dinner. I need to go feed him soon.
6. Beast is sleeping. Hopefully, he'll sleep all night and actually feel rested in the a.m.
7. I'd like to think that one of 7 people I know who are celebrating their birthday today is eating a big, sugary, delicious piece of birthday cake.
936. Name three things you hate
2. That sound balloons make when you rub them on fabric.
3. Getting aluminum foil in my mouth by accident.
937. Name one GOOD thing about each of those 3 things you hate.
Earwigs are probably delicious to ... something. Birds?
The fact that there are no balloons in my house is a very good thing, I guess.
I rarely get foil in my mouth, for which I am grateful.
938. What do you tend to see in black and white, rather than in shades of gray?
Skunks. Penguins. Dark rooms...though those are mostly black. Pages of books.
939. Admit three things you do that you are ashamed of but shouldn't be.
1. I still bite my nails, though less than I used to. I think.
2. Passing homeless people on the street makes me really uncomfortable.
3. I can't even explain how glad I am that Beast will be able to drive the rental on our vacation. I was really terrified at the thought of having to man up and drive in England.
And done, because I'm sleepy and Pinto needs food -- 8:20 p.m.
Can I finish tonight? 8/27 7:50 p.m.
940. What qualities make a person “good” in your eyes?
As in "a good person"? OK, kindness, willingness to go out of their way without (too much) complaint, listening, honesty...you know, not a politician. [ok, the election needs to happen SOOON--I'm burnt out already!]
941. Do you have any of these qualities?
I hope so!
942. Are you willing to do what it takes to achieve what you want to? If I could figure out what I want to do, then yes.
943. Name one bad quality about someone you love.
I know an awful lot of Very Stubborn People.
944. Name one good quality about someone you hate.
I don't really hate anyone. However, I've heard that Donald Trump is a pretty good dad.
945. Are you pro life or pro choice and why?
I am staunchly pro allowing people to make their own decisions and live with the consequences if there are any.
946. If you are pro life write a reason someone might be pro choice. If you are pro choice write a reason someone might be pro life.
I think a lot of pro-lifers really think that a fetus or embryo is a person. I don't agree, but it's not something I'm going to try to convince anyone.
947. Can you see the beauty in?
A bumble bee: I love bumblees! Of course they're beautiful!
A man skating: Sure.
A woman combing her hair: Sure.
A box of tissues: Uhm, ok. Maybe?
Yourself naked: Perish the thought! I like my scars, but I could live without all the fat.
Light: Of course.
948. What are you most afraid of?
Oh dear God...so many things right now! Summed up by "the future."
949. Whose life would you REALLY NOT want to ever have?
Any random Presidential candidate. Uuuucccckk.
950. Can you come up with a reason why you might want their life? Well, I probably wouldn't have to grocery shop or mop floors all that often. So there's that....
951. Name one thing that is beautiful about your body
My feet are still cute.
952. Name one thing that is ugly about your body
My midsection is not good.
953. Name one thing that is beautiful about your mind
I generally assume the best about people.
954. Name one thing that is ugly about your mind
I can be very very judgmental.
955. Who was the last person you were rude to?
Maybe T at work? I don't know, I'm not often rude.
956.Are your elbows soft?
Ironically, I was going to do some work on feet, shoulders and elbows tonight.
957. Are you ticklish?
Somewhat. I had a big brother who tortured me this way as a child, so I do have the ability to control my reactions.
958. Are you awkward or graceful?
I'm a total klutz.
959. Do you wear glasses/contacts?
I've worn glasses since age 10. I had contacts when I was in college, for about 8 months. Then I got tired of dealing with them.
960. If you wear contacts what's the longest you have ever left them in your eyes?
961. What's going on where you are right now?
Not a helluva lot.
962. What is your favorite thing to touch?
Fur. Preferably while still attached to a living creature.
963. What is your favorite kind of incense?
I haven't had incense in the house for a very long time. Beast finds it ... unpalatable.
964. What relaxes you?
Reading, Sudoku, deep breathing.
965. How much time have you wasted?
Probably about 15 years over my lifetime
966. How do you afford your rock and roll lifestyle?
Now is not the time to ask this. Soon, we may be doing a considerable amount less rocking and rolling.
967. What does teen spirit smell like?
Axe and fear.
968. Do you mostly listen or hear?
I'm getting better at listening again. I used to be really good at it.
969. Look or see?
OK, hmm, see. But with some things I do more looking than is a good idea.
970. Do you comprehend all the things you read?
Nope. Not today for sure. We got a letter from an irate patron who is crackerjack nutty. Like, "WTF reality are you living in" nutty.
971. Is it necessary to be repetitive in order to be creative?
Well, practice is important, if that's what this is about....
972. Do you control your attitude or does it control you?
I'm working on controlling it, but it's been in charge for so long it's a bit of work.
973. Are your relationships mostly passion or conversation?
974. Do you do what needs to be done regardless of the consequences?
I will do what needs doing in a pinch, but I'd really rather not be a martyr.
975. Is money how you keep score?
Nope. Thank God!
976. Who can you do everything or nothing with and still have the best time?
All my besties. We don't have to have a set agenda to have a great time.
977. Just because you're angry does that give you the right to be cruel?
NO!! (though I don't let that stop me from being horrible at times)
978. What is maturity and where does it come from?
Attention and age.
979. Who is the maturest person you know?
Depends on the subject. Some people are awesome with money, for instance, and totally clueless about driving. Some are good with kids and absolutely pathetic with cleaning their house. Etc. etc.
980. Who is the most immature person you know?
J. But then he's only 10 months old. Soon, I'll be able to say I. and M. because I will have met them and they are 8 months old!
981. If there was a fire and you could only rescue one thing from your room (all people and pets have escaped on their own, even goldfish) what would it be?
You know what? I'm outside watching the house burn. Fuck my shit; I'd rather live through this!
Nope, not finishing. I'm so tired all the time! 8:25 p.m.
OK, finally back 9/3 7:30 p.m.
982. If you could, what 3 albums would you force everyone to remove from his or her CD collections?
I can honestly say that I should never be in charge of setting the taste bar because I like a lot of crap just as much as I like "seriously good" music. Whatever the opposite of a snob is, I am. So I would only get rid of Barney and TeleTubbies.
983. Does Marilyn Manson scare you or bore you?
I'm a little scared that my son has many of his songs on his Favorites list on iTunes.
984. What do you think of the Insane Clown Posse?
I try VERY hard not to. Really. Are they even still a thing? ... No don't tell me.
985. What's the best movie about high school?
I think the most Hollywood-realistic is The Breakfast Club. I think the funniest is Heathers. That could have been my school.
986. Do you like Michael Jackson better in the 80's, 90's, or today?
OK, so this is the oldest meme ever... And what about the 70s? I've been really enjoying his Jackson 5 work on Spotify at work. But I like the 15 years from Thriller on, give or take.
987. Is choosing a different store to shop in from most people really making a statement?
The statement for me is that I don't like to shop in a crowd. And I probably can't afford to shop in the cool store, nor will they have my size.
988. What's the riskiest thing you've ever done?
Staying. I'll let you know how that works out when I know.
989. Have you ever ridden in a car while the driver had been drinking?
Yes, though not because I necessarily knew how fucked up he was at the time.
990. Who needs to get a life?
Most of us.
991. Do write on yourself with milky pens?
I ... don't know what a milky pen is. It sounds kinda icky.
Having now looked them up, I was the parent of a kid who might've asked for them. Nope.
992. What should be different about high school curriculum?
It should include parenting classes, as in "how to not ruin your kids' lives."
993. Right now are you exactly the way you want to be?
For right this second, yes. We just finished watching a bio of Brett Favre on TV, and he has a way of making you feel good.
994. Who can save you from yourself?
Me. Well, really, God.
995. Are you a responsible person?
I guess. It's kinda hard for me not to be!
996. "It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." — Oscar Wilde
Do you agree?
I love Oscar. His categories are just as arbitrary as any other supposed dichotomies. So no. But I don't think that people can be divided into good and bad either.
997. How many greatest hits albums do you own?
Not that many. Maybe 4 or 5.
998. Are you at risk for a.i.d.s.?
Nope. So, this is from England; this explains some things.
999. Do you want to have it all?
Nope. Yuck. Who would?
1000. Do you collect green pictures of dead presidents?
I have, maybe 30 or 40 of them, but I don't collect them like people collect art or anything.
FINALLY DONE! 8:10 p.m.