Part one (sigh)
1. Who are you? I yam who I yam. I mostly go by "Cat." hereabouts.
2. What are the 3 most important things everyone should know about you? I like to read, I like to laugh, and I have a mean temper.
3. When you aren't filling out 5,000 question surveys like this one what are you doing? I work in a library cataloging books. I go to Al-Anon meetings 1-2 times a week. I'm a member of P.E.O. I have family all over the world, mostly in the U.S., the rest in Europe.
4. List your classes in school from the ones you like the most to the ones you like the least (or if you are out of school, think of the classes you did like and didn't like at the time). I loved English and History. Some science classes were ok--I liked Physiology, hated Biology. Shop was fun. I sucked at Art but didn't hate it. Math pissed me off.
5. What is your biggest goal for this year? Survival and improvement.
6. Where do you want to be in 5 years? Here is fine. I'll be 10 years from retirement, assuming they don't move the goalposts on me (us) again.
7. What stage of life are you in right now? Empty-nest. Prime time!
8. Are you more child-like or childish? I would prefer to think of myself as childlike, but I have my very childish moments. Like repeating endlessly this weekend, "I don't feel good!"
9. What is the last thing you said out loud? "Holeee Shiiiiit!" [we're watching Deadliest Catch, highlights from last year....big storm, HUUUGE wave]
10. What song comes closest to how you feel about your life right now? "Doctor, My Eyes" (just the title)
11. Have you ever taken martial arts classes? Nope.
12. Does your life tend to get better or worse or does it just stay the same? Overall, better. There's some trade-offs: I'm smarter now, but achier.
13. Does time really heal all wounds? If you allow it to, it can go a very long ways toward a cure, yes.
14. How do you handle a rainy day? Preferably, I'd like to curl up in bed and read and nap.
15. Which is worse...losing your luggage or having to sort out tangled holiday lights? Losing luggage. I simply do not do light untangling.
16. How is your relationship with your parents? Will you miss them when they are gone? They are gone and I do miss them. I had a fraught relationship with Mom up till the last few years of her life. Dad & I were solid all the way to the end.
17. Do you tend to be aware of what is going on around you? I do, though I can be extraordinarily flaky sometimes.
18. What is the truest thing that you know? That the world will go on around me without any input from me.
19. What did you want to be when you grew up? Adult. Doesn't every kid just want to grow up and be her own boss?
20. Have you ever been given a second chance? Far more times than I deserve....
21. Are you more of a giver or a taker? Depends on the item in question. I will steal all your cookies, but your cash is safe with me.
22. Do you make your decisions with an open heart/mind? I don't even know what that means exactly. I try not to waste time rethinking decisions once they're finished.
23. What is the most physically painful thing that has ever happened to you? Either childbirth or abdominal surgery. Different...but I'm giving the edge to childbirth for intensity and length combined.
24. What is the most emotionally painful thing that has ever happened to you? There's been a lot of death in my family in the last 10 years--kids, parents, extended family and close friends--and while I was busy surfing along that wave, I didn't realize that Beast was drowning until it was rather late in the program.
25. Who have you hugged today? Beast. And some folks at church, I think.
26. Who has done something today to show they care about you? Sparky (finally) called tonight after days of minimal communication for a week. Beast has worked like mad to get the kitchen put back together before he leaves town in the morning.
27. Do you have a lot to learn? Always
28. If you could learn how to do three things just by wishing and not by working what would they be?
A Cook, and meal planning
B Learn 3-4 other languages fluently
C Lose weight
29. Which do you remember the longest: what other people say, what other people do or how other people make you feel? How I feel around people lasts far longer than (most) words and actions, but those contribute to how I feel.
30. What are the key ingredients to having a good relationship? Fairness, honesty, LISTENING, forgiveness, and laughter.
31. What 3 things do you want to do before you die?
A Hold my grandchild(ren)
B Figure out my purpose here
C Learn everything I can
32. What three things would you want to die to avoid doing?
A Nuclear winter
B Getting Alzheimer's
C Burying my child
33. Is there a cause you believe in more than any other cause? I believe in children. I believe we need to take better care of them than we currently do, and be more (MUCH MORE) equitable with that care.
34. What does each decade make you think of:
1920's: Flappers, bathtub gin, gangsters, The Great Gatsby
1930's: The Depression, poverty, fear, John Steinbeck
1940's: WWII, my parents' marriage, survival, great clothes, Frank Sinatra
1950's: Elvis, Baby Boomer kids, Eisenhower, Civil Rights, Dick & Jane
1960's: Kennedys, flower children, Beatles, The Age of Aquarius, Generation Gap, I was born
1970's: Vietnam ends, designer drugs, disco, polyester, porn-staches, lots and lots of family babies
1980's: neon, Lebanon, music videos, Reagan (OMG!), I got married, AIDS, Michael Jackson, Ollie North
1990's: Clinton, Desert Storm, I became a mom, people in my immediate family start dying, OJ, Columbine
2000s: Bush (OMG!!), 9/11, Iraq/Afghanistan, adulthood starts sucking bigtime, we build a beautiful home, boy bands
2010s: Sparky moves out (slowly, over time), more deaths in the family, Beast goes off the rails, I go full-time at work, Spotify
35. Which decade do you feel the most special connection to and why? Probably from about 1979-1989. I know that's very specific, but I started high school fall 1979 and that and college were full of new experiences and fun and horror and joy. Horrible music, for the most part, but oh well.
36. What is your favorite oldie/classic rock song? Oldies: something Elvis or Beatles; Rock: Clapton. Cocaine maybe?
37. What country do you live in and who is the leader of that country? U.S., and Obama still runs this joint.
If you could say any sentence to the current leader of your country what would it be? "Good job, hang in there, don't stop fighting the good fight, and don't lower yourself to your political enemies' level."
38. What's your favorite TV channel to watch in the middle of the night? I don't watch TV in the middle of the night. Ever. I'd never get back to sleep. TV doesn't relax me at all.
39. What Disney villain are you the most like and why? Ursula.
40. Have you ever been a girl scout/boy scout? I was a Girl Scout for a couple of years.
41. If you were traveling to another continent would you rather fly or take a boat? Fly. I don't have time to take a ship across an ocean. Maybe someday. I am going on a Caribbean cruise next week however. Just to try it out.
42. Why is the sky blue during the day and black at night? Because atmosphere, and lack of light
43. What does your name mean? My online name is a shortened version of my job.
44. Would you rather explore the deeps of the ocean or outer space? Outer space. I can't swim.
45. Word association
What is the first word that comes to mind when you see the word:
Meat: ... Locker
Elvis: ... Presley
Magic: Sleight of hand
Clash: London Calling
Pulp: ... Fiction
46. If you could meet any person in the world who is dead who would you want it to be? Laura Ingalls as a teen.
47. What if you could meet anyone who is alive? It would be amazing to meet Michelle Obama.
48. Is there a movie that you love so much you could watch it everyday? Nooo....yuck.
49. You are going to be stuck alone in an elevator for a week. What do you bring to do? A pillow, a portapotty, a blanket, several books and FOOD!
50. Have you ever saved someone's life or had your life saved? I don't know if I've actively saved a life, maybe metaphorically. I know plenty of people who have saved me, from myself if nothing else.
51. Make up a definition for the following silly words...
Fruitgoogle: Shopping in the produce secction
Ambytime: Time for a sleeping pill
Asscactus: Many, many Republicans
52. What was the last thing you made with your own hands? I helped Beast install the new kitchen faucet yesterday if that counts.
53. What was your favorite toy as a child? My 9-legged octopus always made me laugh.
54. How many TV’s are in your house? Two, I think.
55. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Make Vitamin D.
56. How do you feel when you see a rainbow? Happy. Sparky and I used to chase them when he was in elementary school.
57. Have you ever dreamt a dream that came true? Kind of...
58. Have you ever been to a psychic/tarot reader? No. Hell no.
59. What is your idea of paradise? I don't know but there'd better be puppies and kitties and kids.
60. Do you believe in god and if so what is he/she/it like? Yes, and as far as I can tell most humans have no idea how to explain God to anyone else, but we know it when we feel it.
61. Do you believe in Hell? I certainly do. I see it in the news every day.
62. What one thing have you done that most people haven't? I'm the Protestant godmother to a Catholic child.
63. What is the kindest thing you have ever done? Oh, hell, I wouldn't know. Didn't know there was a competition going on!
64. Are you a patient person? No, though I'm MUCH better than I used to be.
65. What holiday should exist but doesn't? I think we need a monthly, scheduled Day of Naps.
66. What holiday shouldn't exist but does? I'm pretty fuckin' over Columbus Day.
67. What's the best joke you ever heard? The one my dad could never tell about the prank my brother pulled on his FD Captain. Dad couldn't tell a joke to save his life and trying to get this story told made him CRY with laughter Every Single Time.
68. Where is the most fun place you have EVER been? Wow. I don't really associate places with fun. It's more about who's around. Though part of the reason I love Ouray so much is the amount of time I spent there doing my own thing at my own pace and accompanied only by my little doggie.
69. Is your hair natural or dyed? Oh, it's 100% naturally gray.
70. Do you have any deep dark secrets or are you pretty much up front? I'm pretty much up front. I mean, except for my name and the names of my family, and my actual location. Though some of you reading this might have more inside information than others.
71. What is under your bed right now? Dust.
72. If you were in the Land of Oz would you want to live there or go home? I'm ok with staying home. Oz is beyond weird and full of people that kind of freak me out.
73. If you drive do you frequently speed? I'm a solid 2-mph-over gal.
74. What is the world's best song to dance to? Hava Nagila. Or The Chicken Dance Song.
75. What song was on the last time you danced with someone? I can't even remember the last time I danced....
76. Do you prefer Disney or Warner Brothers? I prefer no cartoons.
77. What is the first animal you would run to see if you went to the zoo? Wolves.
78. Would you consider yourself to be romantic? Not much, no.
79. If the earth stopped rotating would we all fly off? We'd all be dead before we'd find out, so....
80. What is the one thing that you love to do so much that you would make sacrifices to be able to do it? Read.
81. If you (and everyone) had to lose one right or freedom, but you could pick which one everyone had to lose, what would you pick? The right to carry an assault rifle wherever, and whenever you want.
82. If you had to choose would you live on the equator or at the North Pole? North Pole. I can always put on more clothes.
83. Would you rather give up listening to music or watching television? Television. This is a complete no-brainer.
84. What do you think makes someone a hero? Doing the right thing in a situation where it would be safer/easier/more rational not to.
85. What cartoon would you like to be a character in? Mighty Mouse!
86. Name one thing that turns your stomach: Cheap champagne. Once you've gotten sick-drunk on something, it's ruined FOREVER.
87. What was the last thing you paid for? My S'mores Blizzard after work.
88. Are you a coupon clipper? Only online coupons.
89. Get anything good in the mail recently? Nope. Well, my passport came a few weeks ago, which means I can go on vacation.
90. Which would you rather take as a gym class...dancing, sailing, karate, or bowling? Bowling.
91. In Star Trek people 'beam' back and forth between different places. What this means is they stand in a little tube and their molecules are deconstructed and sent to another tube somewhere else where they are reassembled. Only problem is when the molecules are deconstructed the person is dead. When they are put back together it is only a clone that has all the dead person's memories. So... Is the person who gets beamed the same person on both ends? Yes. Because Star Trek is FICTIONAL, so the rules of the game are decided by the writers, and they say yes to this question.
92. What insects are you afraid of? Anything bigger than the first joint of my thumb, and poisonous ones.
93. If you could print any phrase on a T-shirt, what would it say? Well, technically I can get anything printed on a T-shirt, and indeed have done so. It would depend on what I needed to say.
94. What's the most eccentric thing you have ever worn? Halloween costumes included? Actually I wore 1890s-era garb at work all day a couple of weeks ago to celebrate our library's anniversary.
95. If you could pick one food that you could eat all you wanted but it would have no effect on how much you weigh, what food would it be? Sugar in all its delightful versions.
96. What are your parents interested in? Not much these days.
97. Have you ever caught an insect and kept it as a pet? Have you ever caught and tamed a wild animal? Nope... well, some caterpillars, I guess. Nothing bigger than that, for sure.
98. What is more helpful to you, wishes or plans? Duh. Really? Plans.
99. When do you feel your life energy the strongest? It involves music, kids, books, and laughter. I can't tell you the recipe because I don't know it.
100. You are spending the night alone in the woods and may bring only 3 items with you. What do you bring? Sleeping bag, car, flashlight.