Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
The One You Love (1982)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
In memory of Glenn Frey (1948-2016).

1) In this song, Glenn explores one of the great romantic conundrums. This week, Saturday 9 is confronting it, too. If you had to choose, would you prefer to be loved, or to be in love?
It's good to be loved. I mean, don't get me wrong, loving others is great, but right now I'm feeling needy and in need of some TLC. Not sick, just blerghy.
2) The song describes an awkward moment: an old boyfriend calls when a woman is on a date with someone new. To whom did you last say, "I can't talk now?"
I just don't answer if I can't talk. Cell phones have that nifty "ignore" feature. Actually, I'm excellent at ignoring old-fashioned ringing phones too.
3) The lyrics talk about heart vs. head. When you find yourself in that predicament, which usually wins -- heart or head?
It totally depends on the situation I'm (slowly) getting better at letting my head at least make an appearance before I pop off emotionally. In a crisis, I generally do shut down and go with practical, head-based responses, especially if I'm responsible for the situation, i.e., the only adult in sight.
4) This song was from Glenn Frey's solo album, No Fun Aloud. What fun stuff are you looking forward to this weekend?
The Broncos play tomorrow, against The Evil Empire. We're also having a guest music group at church so that will be fun.
5) Glenn Frey was born in Royal Oak, a suburb of Detroit. The Motor City is known for car manufacturing. Is your car domestic or foreign?
We are a double-Ford family, triple if Sparky's involved in the list. This is VERY weird, since my family was Toyota, Chevy, Olds, Subaru, and Honda from childhood through my mid-20s. Then we bought a #%)@ing Plymouth Voyager, which SUCKED, so I was really really anti-Detroit at that point. But I love me our Fords! They are easy to drive, easy to fix, easy to use, and built to last.
6) The popular 1990s sitcomHome Improvement was set in Royal Oak. Are you handy around the house?
My dad was a builder and cabinetmaker with 4 daughters out of 5 kids. We all grew up handing THAT wrench or THOSE pliers to Dad, or HOLDing THIS STILL while he affixed it in place. I dug a 10x10x10 septic pit at 8,000 feet above sea-level with Dad when I was 20 and he was 64, by hand, then lined it with cinderblock, mixed home-made (from river gravel) concrete to hold it together, all in a week. Yeah, I know my way around fixing, building, repairing, finagling, and what shit should look like when its done. We're watching HGTV's Property Brothers right now, and yes I do inspect the work and sneer when they do idiotic shit.
7) Glenn Frey co-founded The Eagles in 1970. What's your favorite Eagles song?
I can't think of any Eagles songs I don't like, but my personal favorite for the humor is "Get Over It." Here's the video. Enjoy. Don't make me find your inner child....lol
8) The Eagles helped define "California Rock," but in recent years Glenn and his wife lived in Tribeca. Have you ever been to New York? If so, did you like it?
Haven't been, never really wanted to visit, but I think at some point I really must see it.
9) Glenn wrote "Smuggler's Blues" and "You Belong to the City" for the iconic 1980s TV show,Miami Vice. What else comes to mind when you think of the 80s?
Big hair, Aquanet, oversized shirts, Oliver North, Phil Collins, MTV, pegged pants, elf-boots, yuppies, long skirts, Thriller, Madonna, neon colors, skinny ties, Jheri curls, and the fear of Reagan blowing us all to kingdom come.

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

Go, Broncos! I don't really care about football, but I hate Cheater McCheaty Pants Brady.

Oliver North. Reagan. Yikes! It was hard to be a liberal in the 1980s, wasn't it? It was easier to just party and try to forget. Maintaining the Eagles motif, I'll start channeling my inner Henley. "She wants to party, she wants to get down, all the wants to do is dance."

Cat. said...

Yes, that was DEFINITELY a song for the era!

When you see Belichik next time, see if he doesn't look like the Emperor in Star Wars!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.