Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

(Link in meme-roll)

1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?
I've seen all the movies at least a couple of times each. I'm not much of a fan of the sequels, to be honest. I was in my senior year of college, turning 22, desultorily planning my wedding for the next summer that fall. So long ago...
2. If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?
I would like to visit the past. Incognito. Briefly. The future? Hmmm, maybe 100 or years from now. I don't want to see my own future. Or my son's.
3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass). Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's [sic] demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good?
Nope. I like technology. It keeps me alive.
4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?
We make a good chili in the crock-pot. Just about time to start doing that again, too. Fast food? I'm jonesing for some BK cinnamon rolls right now.
5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now?
Down time. On vacation all week, mostly watching Beast sleep through his pain. I did go shoe-shopping today and found a couple new pairs to bring home.
6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?
Growing up in Denver, THE place to go was Elitch's. It's still a thing to go to in Denver, but they moved it across town about 30 years ago. I just can't bring myself to go to the new site. Part of the weird fun of going there as a child was that it was in "a very bad part of town"--it way too safe now. Also...just no. They got rid of my favorite-est ride before they moved, so the hell with them. :-)
7. Describe your comfort zone.
On the couch, laptop or book in hand. Preferably some diet Dr. Pepper nearby. Or in bed reading or playing on my Nook.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I've been working on a cleanup project for work while I've been home this week. I'm over a year behind cleaning up subject headings in our database, so I'm doing that. Currently plowing through changes in headings for mythological folks (Cassandra, Hercules/Heracles, Scheherazade, Odin...) along with the usual randomness. I could go into deep detail here, but suffice to say that the Powers That Be have decided that fictional and mythological characters are now to be treated as if they were actual people. There has been a LENGTHY debate recently about the "author" of this book, whose heading now reads: Kirk, James T., 2233-2371. Just to clarify, this is one for a former (real) U.S. President: Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919. It's hysterical what people will argue about.

1 sweet-talkers :

Joyce said...

Oh wow, that takes me back too. My grandparents had a farm in Broomfield and when we'd visit (from the East Coast) we always went to Ellitch's. It was so much fun! My grandparents farm is now development, which is also kind of sad, but time marches on I suppose. Enjoy your weekend!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.