Saturday, October 17, 2015

Saturday 9 18

(Link in meme-roll)
Cheerleader (2014)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Homecoming and football make this an important time of year for cheerleaders. Were you a cheerleader, or did you date one?
Nope and nope. ...and moving on...
2) Beyond cheerleaders and the big game, homecoming is a time for parades. Have you ever ridden on a float?
Actually, I don't think I have. I was usually in the band. The one time I was in a parade and not marching was when Sparky was in Little League and marched in the local Memorial Day parade.
3) OMI sings that his girl is always there when he needs her. Who do you know you can always count on?
"Always"? No one is "always" reliable or available. Beast is pretty good. I have several friends I can go to with my drama or needs. The only "always" for me is God.
4) This video features a sandy beach, a rocky shore and palm trees. What do you see outside your window right now?
Blue sky, the house next door, part of a tree. The sun is blazing through the front window but I can make out the shadow of our blue spruce in front of the porch and some birds flying around.
5) In the lyrics we hear that his cheerleader girlfriend is "like a genie in a bottle." Who would rather hang around with? Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie or Samantha from Bewitched?
Well, Samantha wasn't a genie, but I'd really rather hang with her. Jeannie was a little flaky, though I did rather like the decor in her bottle.
6) OMI is from Jamaica. Have you ever visited that island country?
Nope. Aside from the music, I've never really wanted to.
7) Christopher Columbus landed in Jamaica in 1494. Columbus Day will soon be upon us (October 12). Is it a big deal in your community?
Nope. And I wish it weren't called that. The only reason it's even recognized around here is for the long fall break from school that usually surrounds it.
8) Queen Elizabeth is Jamaica's head of state. Her Majesty is now 89 years old and a great grandmother. Who is the oldest person in your life?
Hmm. I don't know ages for sure, but there are some folks at church in their late 80s and early 90s. And some of our library patrons. One guy who is 82 and looks about 70 and was in a pretty major motorcycle accident recently...and walked away.
9) Her Majesty was named Elizabeth Alexandra Mary after three of her relatives, who also were queens. Were you named after anyone?
My middle name may be. I don't know. My sisters named me, supposedly after a friend of one of theirs. Or anyway they liked that name. Whatever.
____________________________________________

Beyond the Sea (1959)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song mentions golden sands. When do you think you'll next visit the beach?
At this point, it'll be next summer. I don't see much of a reason to go beachside during the winter. Though there is a resort town on a lake not too far from here that we might visit over the winter and our usual haunt is right across from the beach.
2) Shortly after "Beyond the Sea" hit the charts, Bobby Darin met and married movie sweetheart Sandra Dee. Her squeaky-clean image is spoofed in the song, "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee," from Grease. Can you name another song from Grease?
"Hopelessly Devoted to You" is the only one that's coming into focus this morning.
3) Years earlier, Bobby had an ill-fated romance with singer Connie Francis. According to Ms. Francis, Darin wanted to marry her, but her father forbade it. Have you ever had a relationship that your parents disapproved of?
Sure. They weren't enamored with me getting married right out of college, I'm fairly certain, but being the youngest in my family paid off in that they knew better than to forbid anything. It only makes it more attractive.
4) Bobby was a Renaissance man: Grammy-winning singer, Oscar-nominated actor, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and an excellent chess player. Are you good at chess?
No. I've played, but I'm not good at it at all.
5) A car buff, he drove a 1960 custom car that was so unique and spectacular it's now in a Detroit museum. The bright red paint was mixed with ground diamonds to ensure that it sparkled in the sun. Each of the four bucket seats had its own ac/heat control and radio speaker. The steering wheel was slightly squared for easier handling. What features would your dream car have?
Heated seats. 4WD. Big tires. Big engine. Convertible top/sides.
6) Beyond the Sea is also the name of the 2004 screen biography in which Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin. Who would you choose to play you in the story of your life?
Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock. They both have the right laugh.
7) When he was just 8 years old, Bobby Darin was stricken with rheumatic fever, and the disease left him with a dangerously weakened heart. Did you spend much time in the hospital when you were a kid?
I spent time visiting my sister Ellen in the hospital when I was very young--she was quite ill and nearly died. As a teenager, I was a candystriper. Otherwise, not so much time in the hospital, definitely not as a patient for which I'm grateful.
8) In 1959, when "Beyond the Sea" was popular, Alaska became our 49th state. What comes to mind when you think of Alaska?
Cold. Dark. Snow. Crazy people. Glaciers. And, naturally, crab fishing.
9) In 1959, Conair introduced the first hair dryer developed for home use. Is there a hair dryer in your bathroom right now?
There is!

6 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock are such good choices. They seem like girls next door (only in a much more glamorous neighborhood).

Kwizgiver said...

I had a tough decision between Samantha and Jeannie. I liked them both very much, but thought Jeannie's ditziness would get to me in the long run.

CountryDew said...

I forgot about the crab fishing. We watch that every year when it is on.

Smellyann said...

I'm sorry about your sister. And wow, I wish my parents were "educated" by my 3 older sisters by the time I got around to my teenage years, but I guess when you start at the bottom and learn slowly...

I am Harriet said...

When I went to college some gals use to joke that they were there for their 'M-R-S degree'. I am glad women have evolved since then.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

oh Crab fishing! Forgot that one. And, I'm glad to have a few women friends to talk to when push comes to shove, figuratively speaking. Beach, I'm looking forward to getting back there.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.