Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Stay with Me (2014)
... because Kwizgiver recommended it
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Sam Smith explains that this song is about just not wanting to wake up alone. How about you? Are you comfortable being by yourself?
I adore being alone. Alone is awesome. Part of the reason for feeling this way is having learned to entertain myself as a child, being the youngest of 5, far younger than everyone else. My nearest sib moved permanently out of the house when I was about 10. There weren't really too many kids in the neighborhood. And nowadays, Beast travels for work and is gone probably 60% of each month. I come home to an empty house during the work-week a lot. It's nice not to have to be social after a long day of sociability at work.
2) Last year a lawsuit filed by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, who maintained that "Stay with Me" was really just "I Won't Back Down." Petty and Lynne won. Have you ever served on a jury?
I was called and went through part of voir dire before being dismissed (for recalling the article in the paper about the defendant). Your timing is great though: this week I received a summons for Grand Jury duty next month. Whee!
3) Smith performed this on The David Letterman Show. Did you watch Dave's final episode last May?
Nope. But that's par--I think I might have sat through, at most, 5 full episodes of the show over it's entire run. I never really 'got' Dave's humor.
4) Smith says his style was influenced by ladies with "massive voices," including Adele, Amy Winehouse, Chaka Kahn, and Whitney Houston. Of those four, which do you listen to most often?
Adele probably edges out Amy at this point. I never listen to Whitney without hearing Beast sneering in my head, and ... well, Chaka isn't really on my list. What about Tina Turner and Aretha Franklin. Melissa Etheridge?? Janis Joplin?? Mary J? Beyonce? Sam, you disappoint me.
5) Speaking of style, Mr. Smith is a smart dressed man who looks comfortable and dapper as he walks the red carpet in a tux. Do you enjoy getting dressed up for special occasions?
Not particularly. If I had stylists and what-all, it might be different, but I don't so it pretty much sucks.
6) "Occasions" is a word that makes Crazy Sam stumble because she can never remember how to spell it correctly. Are you a good speller?
Yes, but I'm full of self-doubt so I'm not ashamed of using spell-check and looking up words. "Occasion" isn't one of my bugbears, but i have a lot of trouble with double-vowel words ("niece," "gauge," etc.), and the -ant/-ent endings
7) Sam Smith was born on May 19, which makes him a Taurus. When did you last check your horoscope?
The last time we ate at a Chinese restaurant, which is the wrong kind of horoscope, I realize. I don't follow astrology much at all.
8) Tauruses are supposed to be reliable, organized and ambitious. Do any of those three adjectives describe you?
I'm fairly reliable, and occasionally organized. Not ambitious at all. Good think I wasn't born in late May/early June, eh?
9) Random question: Look at the floor. Do you see carpet, rug, hard wood or tile?
Wood laminate.

3 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

A Grand Jury! I believe in those trials the jurors are encouraged to ask questions, so it might be more engaging.

Cat. said...

I'm pretty stoked about it, and I hadn't even thought of that part! I'm just excited because I am unlikely to be excluded because I've got a brain in my skull. We joke around at work that none of us will ever make a (petit) jury because no attorney wants a librarian empaneled. ;-)

Kwizgiver said...

I love your answer for the "Massive Voices" question!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.