Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Freeway of Love (1985)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here. (or trust me when I say "don't do it!*)

1) In this song, Aretha's ideal car is a pink Caddy. What's your dream vehicle?
Well, it's NOT a pink car....shudder.... I'd be happy with a Jeep, or a Range Rover, in chocolate brown.
2) Have you ever owned a convertible?
Nope. Not gonna happen. Too many horror stories about leaks from friends who've had nothing but trouble.
3) Aretha longs to "drop the pedal and go." Are you a careful, conservative driver? Or do you enjoy going fast?
I love going fast, but I do try to keep it under control. I'm a big believer in using cruise control to keep myself ticket-free.
4) Aretha's grandmother Rachel helped raise her. Tell us about one of your grandparents.
I've talked about my dad's parents before--they were homesteading when he was born--so I can talk about my grandma on Mom's side. I don't remember much about her except that she always had cold hands. We visited her at the nursing home on Sundays and I would sit on the embroidered footstool and hold her hand while she talked to Mom & Dad. Mom was born when Grandma (not what we actually called her) was over 40, so Mom's brothers were adults when she was a kid, much like me. So basically, by the time I was born, my grandmother was in her mid-80s. Mom didn't talk about her parents much, but I know she went to WCTU meetings as a young child with her mom. Before getting married, Grandma was a schoolteacher in Montana prior to the turn of the last century. She married late for that era to a guy about 15 years older than she was. Even as a kid I wondered if she was that desperate.
5) Aretha played a waitress in the 1980 movie, The Blues Brothers. Have you ever worked in food service?
Yes, briefly. It was long enough, though, to recognize what a hard, unpleasant job waitressing is. And I wasn't even allowed to keep tips!
6) Aretha was a chain smoker for decades and had a terrible time giving up cigarettes. What habit do you wish you could break?
Sugar. I'm solidly addicted. And just generally eating crappy food.
7) A sculpture of Aretha is at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York City. What's the last museum you visited?
Hmmm. Wow. I can't remember! It might have been 4 years ago in Florence!
8) Since Aretha has many honorary degrees, it would be appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you addressed by his or her title (Officer, Father, Pastor, Dr., etc.)?
I tend not to do this very often. Perhaps it was the doctor who did my surgery? I call our pastor by his first name. I did call my boss as "Boss" I'm sure, but I don't think that counts.
9) The daughter of a minister, Aretha enjoys singing "church music" and her 1972 CD Amazing Grace is one of the best sellers in gospel music history. Do you have any gospel music on your phone, iPod or MP3 player?
I don't use any of those for music, but I do like gospel music, and I have a whole channel on Spotify dedicated to "Christian" music that I like. TobyMac is my favorite.
_______
* This is one of those songs that is inextricably tied for me to the video, which was IMHO awful and the song was annoyingly overplayed on the radio. Thirty years later and I still had a visceral reaction to seeing this song title....ick

7 sweet-talkers :

CountryDew said...

I think the whole idea behind sugar was to make us all addicts. I even read a book called "The Sugar Addict's Diet" or something like that. It advised not eating any sugar at all but at night you should eat a baked potato. If you have nightmares from it you're having sugar withdrawal. Strange book.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Waitressing is a very hard job. I watched how hard my aunt worked all her life as a waitress. It just kills your legs.

I am Harriet said...

40 is not that old for marriage these days. Funny how things have changed

Cat. said...

Dew: That's just weird, the nightmare part. I can see the connection between potatoes and sugary foods though. Lots of carbs and starch in both.

Zippi: Waiting tables IS hard on the body. I was exhausted after just 4 hours a day as a teen.

Harriet: To clarify, my grandmother was married in her mid-20s, quite old for the era. She had two sons fairly quickly, then a 15ish year pause before my mom appeared, making her a 40-plus-year-old mom.

The Gal Herself said...

I've decided to think that your grandmother wasn't desperate but was finally swept off her feet by the most worldly man she'd ever met. Don't tell me otherwise. This romance I've made up has captured my imagination.

katie eggeman said...

I sure wish I knew more about the earlier lives of my grandparents...It might explain a lot.

Cat. said...

Gal: I think there's some truth to your version, to be fair. I've always thought she was too smart to "settle" for a regular guy. She waited till an older, apparently-wiser, foreign guy appeared.

Banker: Indeed it does explain a lot. The more I think about my grandparents' (and parents') early lives, the more I understand their later years and some of the very irritating habits they had.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.