Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart (1939)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about love at first sight. Do you believe that immediate attraction lasts?
It can. I know people who claim they "knew" immediately when they saw their loved one. It takes work to keep it going, though, I don't care what ANYone says.
2) The lyrics mention "a breath of spring" and robins singing. Now that we're deep into winter, what do you miss about spring?
Green things growing, and the smell of fresh earth; warmer temps, with no bite of cold wind. I do not miss spring rain, however!
3) Though the world knew her as Judy Garland, this week's featured artist was born Frances Gumm and her family called her "Baby." Does your family have any pet names for you?
My family--my parents--were emphatically anti-nickname. It's the reason we all have the names we have. They are, supposedly, unshortenable.
4) Because she was petite -- just 4'11 -- it was obvious when Garland gained even a few pounds and consequently she battled her weight her whole life. Now that we're in the new year, have you made any resolutions about your own diet?
I don't make resolutions, but once my endocrine system is back on to regular functionality after next month's surgery, I really have to address my weight situation.
5) The year this song came out, 1939, was the year Garland's most famous movie, The Wizard of Oz, was released. Which of her three traveling companions is your favorite: Scarecrow, Tin Man or Cowardly Lion?
Scarecrow. He's funniest, funnest, and, ultimately, smartest.
6) Barry Manilow enjoyed Judy's performance of this song so much he did a "dream duet" with her and included it in his recent CD. What performer who is no longer with us do you wish you could have seen in concert?
Nina Simone or Ella Fitzgerald.
7) Judy had a terrible problem with tardiness. Are you usually prompt?
I used to be sort of OCD about this. Over the past decade I've gotten really lazy. I'm usually close to on time, at least. ;-)
8) During World War II, Judy worked tirelessly to entertain the troops. Tell us about a cause that's near and dear to your heart.
Finding a cure for Parkinson's Disease and MSA; the latter killed my sister. They are often related, and they SUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKK.
Alternative, literacy for all, everywhere.
9) The American Film Institute lists Garland as the 8th greatest movie star of all time. Who is your all time favorite actor or actress?
Oh, hell, I don't know. I liked Gene Kelly. Meryl Streep is wonderful. Marlon Brando was gorgeous in his prime.

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

My favorite uncle suffered mightily with Parkinson's. It was beyond cruel, what that disease did to him. I'm still angry about it.

I'm 100%, four-square with the Scarecrow.

Cat. said...

If I were ever diagnosed with PD, or God forbid, MSA, I'm pretty sure I'd have an end-of-life plan set up within a week. Not to be implemented that soon, but with specific what-ifs covered. It's absolutely hideous what happens to a person with these.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.