Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
Thanksgiving Meme

1. Are you celebrating Thanksgiving at home or elsewhere this year? With whom will you spend Thanksgiving Day?
I do the meal every year because we're sort of in the middle of the three households who attend. My local niece and her husband and small child and my oldest nephew (from a different branch) will be here with the three of us. My other nephew is a commercial truck driver and on the road this week. I just invited a young friend on the outs with her (ridiculously bigoted) family, but I don't think she'll be coming. We'll see. If I were a better person, I'd invite my niece's in-laws, but I can't stand them, so....
2. What do you have for breakfast on Thanksgiving?
Nosh. As usual. ;-)
3. Do you go to a Thanksgiving parade or watch one on TV?
We watch the NYC thing because Beast always has. I think it's a stupid parade, but I'm not really paying attention most of the time either.
4. Do you serve appetizers, lunch, or snacks during the day?
I've ordered a deli tray at the grocery store, and I'll grab some veggies when I go pick it up. No lunch per se.
5. What do you wear on Thanksgiving?
Comfy clothes: jeans, T-shirt, sox. No stretchy pants. :-)
6. What's your Thanksgiving table like -- do you use special plates/silver/glasses, etc? Do you have a centerpiece? A color scheme? Candles?
I use my parents' china: dishes, serving platters and bowls. Our table isn't really big enough for much of a centerpiece, but I bought some stuff to mess with. Maybe candles. We'll see. I need to swap out tableclothes, too. The one on the table now has been on it all year, I think. We don't use the table for meals very often anymore.
7. Do you serve buffet-style or family-style? What do you have to drink?
Family-style. I am not a fan of the buffet, and we've never had so many we couldn't all cram around the table--our biggest year was 11 people. I have had wine available in the past, but there's enough issues around booze now that I'm not sure what we're doing this year. A couple of years ago was a no-beer year (a nephew went off alcohol that year--and has stayed off). I need to ask Beast what he thinks. We'll have pop, water, milk, juice, and coffee and tea.
8. Once you're at the table, do you say grace or a toast or does everyone go around and say what they're thankful for?
We say grace. I'd like to do the 'round the table' thing, but family dynamics being what they are...I'm not sure how it would go.
9. Do you have dessert right after the main meal or later on?
Later! After the dishes are washed, often at halftime during the second game of the day.
10. What do you do with your leftovers?
Box/bag them up, try to send some home with others, though the nephew always refuses because "they'll just go to waste" at his place. Boys! And he's 41! smh And then we have turkey sandwiches, turkey casserole, meals of dressing and mashed potatoes, etc. for several days.

3 sweet-talkers :

I am Harriet said...

I am with you on the whole nosh thing

Kwizgiver said...

The drawback of my family plan (since it's just three of us) is that there aren't leftovers. (We order meals from a restaurant)

**** April **** said...

I hate how family drama can just suck the joy out of some things.... especially when you feel semi obligated to invite someone ... and ya... reeeeeeeeally don't wanna!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.