Monday, November 17, 2014

OVERDUE (from the weekend)

(Links in meme-roll)

Friday 5

Superpowers

  1. If you temporarily* had the power of invisibility, what’s the first thing you’d do with it?I'd get on with my work without so many interruptions.
  2. If you temporarily had the power of telekinesis, what’s the first thing you’d do with it?I'd never go shopping again!
  3. If you temporarily had the power of teleportation, what’s the first thing you’d do with it?Go somewhere warmer in the winters.
  4. If you temporarily had the power of super-stretchy limbs, what’s the first thing you’d do with it?This sounds like hell, having known some people with ACTUAL super-stretchy muscles. It's not particularly awesome.
  5. If you temporarily had the power of super strength, what’s the first thing you’d do with it?I'd probably do some creative rearrangement of stuff at work. In good ways, by the way.

* say, for exactly twenty-four hours

___________________________________________________

Saturday 9

All About that Bass (2014)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is body positive. In that spirit: What physical feature would you never change, no matter what?
Generally, I would never want different hair than what I have. Based on the last week, I would also not trade my very hard skull.
2) The lyrics mention how often the media uses Photoshop to present a more ideal female form. Is Photoshop on your computer? If so, do you know how to use it?
Nope. I almost never adjust the photos I take, not beyond the occasional crop to cover up my poor framing of the original.
3) She also sings about Mattel's Barbie doll. According to Toys R Us, this year's best-selling doll is not Barbie but Disney's Elsa. Have you seen Frozen?
Nope. But a coworker has dressed up as Elsa at least twice this year--yes, she's the children's librarian. I think the day is coming when I'm going to be tied to a chair by friends and be forced to watch all the good animated movies of the past decade: Nemo, Up, Frozen, etc.
4) In the video, Meghan dances merrily around her twin bed with its pink head/footboard. Describe your bed to us.
My dad built our headboard (queen-sized) out of scrap wood as a wedding present. We now own a king-sized adjustable Sleep Number bed which is sorta dorky-looking with that headboard. We just put the winter blanket (it's a Pendleton faux-Navajo blanket) back on this weekend--this week is supposed to get into the teens at night a couple of times--and we have a light-blue spread with embossed seashells on it. Because it's a split top mattress, we have individual twin bottom sheets and I sewed together the two twin top sheets, so it is a HUGE sheet. And matching pillowcases, plus another set of pale sand-colored cases to make 4 total pillows. ... Now I want to go to bed.
5) Ms. Trainor began writing songs when she was 11. Would you find it easier to write lyrics or music?
Lyrics.
6) Meghan recently performed "All About that Bass" on the CMAs with country star Miranda Lambert. Who is your favorite country singer?
I like Miranda a lot. Some of her songs are hysterically funny. I also like Kenny Chesney for the same reason. But Steve Earle wins, simply because of the lyrics; his voice is nothing special, but Jeebus is he good at lyrics!
7) In September, Meghan had to cancel several concerts because of throat trouble. Are you battling a cold, cough or sore throat this morning?
I've had a scratchy-sounding throat for months, but it hasn't ever been "sick" so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm knocking wood that I don't get any of the various maladies that are in the air here at home or at work. Beast had the flu a week ago, and someone I work with has had a bronchial/sinus thing.
8) Meghan was born in Nantucket, MA. "Nantucket" is an Algonquian name that means, "faraway island." How did your town get its name/what does it mean?
The town where I work is named after the town with the same name in Vermont which was named for the one in England, and it means "an open space in a forest." There are towns with that name in Virginia, New York, Ontario, Alabama, New Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Ohio, Minnesota, New Brunswick, Tennessee, Georgia, Maine, Connecticut, Maryland, and South Africa. The town (technically, it's a village {{eyeroll} as well as an unincorporated "area") in which I live is named after the lake, which is man-made and not exactly true to its name. But at least it's original. AND it has its own entry in Urban Dictionary. (NOT a direct link!)
9) According to the National Weather Service, between rain and snow, winter brings Nantucket the most precipitation it sees all year. How is the weather where you are today?
Cold and cloudy. Coldest day of this season so far, but not the forecasted coldest day of the week. But I'm perfectly happy as we are not getting any precipitation. Beast is on his way into the teeth of a storm today, so that sucks.
___________________________________________________

Patrick's Place

Saturday Six

1. Which superhero was your favorite when you were growing up and why?
I liked Batman on TV. Otherwise I didn't have a lot of contact with superheroes as a child.
2. What would you consider to be the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Gawd knows what some of the stuff I've eaten overseas was made of! The weirdest think I know about....? Hmm. I try not to eat weird food. I'm better off not knowing.
3. Did you enjoy that strange food?
Until I know it's weird, I'm probably going to enjoy it.
4. Which genre of music have you listened to the most during the past month?
I'm a pop princess. But I've had gospel, reggae, heavy metal, hip-hop, R&B, screamo, reggaeton, oldies, house, dance, and country running through Spotify too.
5. What three words would you say best describe you?
Goofy, flaky, stubborn. Those were the first three to pop into my head.
6. What are three words you wish would most describe you?
Sensible, calm, single-minded. I occasionally approach these, but rarely stay very long.
___________________________________________________

Sunday Stealing

Taking Stock Meme

Making: ...up lost time with memes

Cooking: Hah, surely you jest!

Drinking: ...diet Dr Pepper...although I need to go get the McDonald's cup of diet Coke I left in the car earlier and
finish it....

Reading: ...7 books right now:
Shots Fired : Stories from Joe Pickett Country, by C.J. Box
A Fine Romance : Falling in Love with the English Countryside, by Susan Branch
The Greatest Russian Stories of Crime and Suspense (ebook), collected by Otto Penzler
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (on CD), by Diana Gabaldon
Night of the White Buffalo, by Margaret Coel
Committed to Christ: Six Steps to a Generous Life, by Bob Crossman
National Geographic Who's Who in the Bible: Unforgettable People and Timeless Stories from Genesis to Revelation, by Jean-Pierre Isbout
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, by Ben Fount
Wanting: ...to get the house cleaned up for the cleaning ladies' arrival tomorrow.

Looking: ...at my new Sims game with longing.

Wasting: ...time.

Wishing: ...I could see the two great-nephews I have yet to meet. And see their parents.

Enjoying: ...being alone

Waiting: ...for ... something...

Liking: ...the fact that I didn't do more damage to myself last Friday.

Wondering: ...what to get 'my boys' for Christmas

Loving: ...my church.

Listening: ...to a shitty ad about Dragon software.

Needing: ...to get my eating under control.

Smelling: ...nothing. I smell fine, I think, and the house just smells like my house.

Wearing: ...jeans, athletic sox, underwear, and my Caesar's Palace sweatshirt (sooooo soffffft).

Following: ...nothing I can think of, except on Facebook and Twitter.

Noticing: ...that my feet are cold. Maybe I'll make myself a fire in the fireplace....

Knowing: ...that I can't force other people to behave the way I want them to.

Thinking: ...about what surgeon to 'hire.'

Feeling: ...relief that I've blocked some toxic people from my Facebook feed.

Bookmarking: ...is not really something I do very often. Either online or with, y'know, actual bookmarks. I'm a spine-breaker, a close-over-something-big, flip upside down kind of person.

Opening: ...more doors into my psyche.

Giggling: ...kids crack me up.

2 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I don't even know where to start with my replies. Other than I love your answers.

ShannonW said...

I weed out the bad on my Facebook feed on a monthly basis...and it feels great!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.