Monday, October 13, 2014

Curious as a Cat

(Link in meme-roll)

1) What do you think about ghosts? Are they real? Hallucinations?
I have no issue with people experiencing ghosts. There are certain circumstances when I would completely understand someone feeling close to someone who is dead. I know I feel closer to those people I've loved who are gone at certain, specific times and places, but I've never seen a ghost.
Heard one, though? Yup.
2) What's your favorite part about visiting a new place — the food? The architecture? The people watching?
It's sort of a mélange of all of that: atmosphere, scent, the depth of the blue of the sky, the people's gaits and clothing, the relative cleanliness of the buildings, and the architecture. It's all of a piece. The sky in Colorado's mountains is a slightly different hue from the sky in Greece, and the smell of the Mississippi in the north is completely different from the southern parts of it, and they are completely different from the scent of English rivers. And the oppressive architecture of Moscow in January would never be mistaken for ANYwhere else (except maybe another Russian city in winter!). And the food in different places...well, let's just not go there. I'll just say one word: poutine.
3) What magazine(s) and/or newspaper(s) do you subscribe to?
I read (in paper and occasionally on my ereader) "Presbyterian Outlook", "Ms.", "Entertainment Weekly", "Real Simple", and "Consumer Reports." Beast gets the Big City Nearby paper, "Discover" and "Scientific American" and possibly something else. My three-years-dead father-in-law still gets the History Channel magazine, which is just annoying at this point--we've cancelled it more than once. I read a lot of local news via RSS feed (headlines, primarily) as well as the local news from the city where Sparky is at school, because I helicopter in stealth mode.
4) Show and Tell. What comes to mind first when you see this picture? Or, tell a story if it reminds you of one.

Public Domain Photo
It reminds me of the dry stone walls in Yorkshire, and the planters my dad built on either side of the porch in the house where I grew up. But mostly it reminds me of Robert Frost:
...Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
"Mending Wall"

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.