Saturday, May 3, 2014

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Blues in the Night (1952)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Was last night a good night for you? Or were you singing the blues?
It was ok. Took over 4 hours to settle into deep sleep, and I woke up way too early, but otherwise it was fine.
2) In this song, Rosemary Clooney sings about hearing "big talk" she didn't quite believe. What's the last fib, tall tale or out and out lie you heard?
Right now I'm trying to decide if something someone said last night was true or not. I may just have a touch of paranoia. Otherwise, the standard, "I'm fine" is one I hear every day.
3) Rosemary Clooney has a well-known nephew -- George, the Oscar winner and frequent People magazine cover story. Do you have any nieces or nephews?
I have four of each, and four great-nephews. We seem to be lacking in the girl genes in the latest generation, but I love them all, even though none of them is famous. Well, one is an elected person at city level, but otherwise, no famous people.
4) Ms. Clooney married the same man twice. They married, had five children and divorced. Then three years later, they tried again ... and divorced again. Have you ever been tempted to give it another try with one of your former loves?
I broke up with my high school boyfriend who eventually wore me down and we started dating again briefly. He had far more invested in our future together than I did.
5) Singers as diverse as Linda Ronstadt, Bette Midler and Amy Winehouse have said they admired and were influenced by Rosemary Clooney. If you could meet any artist (singer, writer, actor, director, painter, musician ...), who would it be?
It would be a hoot to hang with U2 for a day or two, in the studio and out.
6) 1952, the year this record was a hit, is also the year the "Big Bang Theory" was introduced by physicists Ralph Alpher and George Gamow. That is too lofty a topic for this humble meme, so instead we'll just ask: Do you watch the TV show of the same name?
Nope. I hear enough about it second- and third-hand, thankyouverymuch.
7) Sam Winters just broke her right thumbnail. While she won't go so far as saying it has her singing the blues, she must admit it bugs her. What little annoyances are you dealing with today?
The usual: my pants are too tight, I have too many shoes to store effectively, my house isn't as clean as I'd like (or as tidy), and I'm tired. But really, it's a gorgeous day and I've gotten a fair amount accomplished, so I'm not all that irritated really.
8) The house next door to Sam's has a FOR SALE on the lawn. Are you contemplating a move?
No! Perish the thought. Beast is, however, contemplating a rummage sale. This is nearly as awful as moving, but if it means getting rid of a bunch of stuff we've had stored for over 3 years now from his parents' house, I'm in.
9) What's your search engine of choice: Google, Bing, Yahoo or Ask?
Google.

6 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I picked U2, too!

I am Harriet said...

I hate when pants get tight. The shoe thing is not a problem.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I forgot about rummage sales, yard sales, garage sales. We've only had one in the years we've been here. It must be past time for another one.

The Gal Herself said...

I've never had a garage sale because I've always lived in apartments. But you make it sound like quite a hassle!

Cat. said...

Gal, for the payoff, it is a big hassle IMHO: gather your old gently used crap, figure out prices, lug it out to the garage (or covered porch), figure out how to display it all, get a permit, get a box for money (including lots of change), deal with people who show up hours early and haggle, argue about prices with everyone, pack the leftovers up at the end and take to Goodwill.

I'd rather just cut to the chase: take to Goodwill.

Unknown said...

The "I'm fine" answer is a good one. Didn't think about that one but you hear it everyday. I've done a couple garage sales and they are a lot of work! I didn't feel like I made enough to make it worth all the time. But some people seem to make some money. I'm too easily talked down in price. :-)

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.