Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Susan
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, our hero tells Susan that "no other girl could ever take the place of you." Crazy Sam feels that no other earmuffs could ever take the place of the ones she left in restaurant coat room last month. Have you lost/misplaced something recently? Do you miss it?
I leave a trail of stuff behind me lately. I lost my earbuds on the way home from Vegas a couple of weeks ago when Beast gate-checked my carry-on and didn't remove them from the lanyard clipped to the outside of the bag. ...sigh... And that lanyard was pretty fucking awesome--and apparently irreplaceable--too....
2) When this song was first released back in 1968, the name Susan was very popular. According the Social Security Administration, it was one of the top 10 baby girl names of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Today it's not even in the top 100. Do you know anyone named Susan (or Suzanne)?
I know a 9-year-old named Susan, the daughter of a coworker (she's named after my coworker's sister). And a shit-ton of grown women named Sue.
3) The Buckinghams were Chicago's attempt to get in on The British Invasion begun by the Beatles. (Hence the silly suits.) But they took their name from Chicago's famous Buckingham Fountain. If Crazy Sam visited your neighborhood, what local site would you recommend she check out?
My neighborhood is a subdivision. It has two parks. That's about it. My town has a lake, though I wouldn't recommend immersing oneself in the water. The city in which I work has a lovely downtown area that has been filmed for TV and movies. Not that I'm telling you which ones, but I'm virtually certain you've all seen one of the movies which came out just over 20 years ago.
4) Chicago is known for deep dish pizza. Describe your dream pizza. (Calories, carbs and gluten need not be a factor because it's dream pizza!)
Deep-dish for the win. I like a good white pizza, maybe grilled chicken and garlic with spinach. But, short of fishes and olives and (god forbid) pineapple, I'm up for almost anything on my za. I also really like a good panzarotta, to which I was introduced in college (NOT in South Jersey, regardless of what that Wikipedia article says).
5) The Buckinghams got their big break by winning a local "battle of the bands." Do you often go to concerts or bars to listen to live music?
Nope.
6) The best-selling book in 1968 (the year "Susan" was released) was Airport by Arthur Hailey. It was set during a snowstorm at Lincoln International, a fictional airport based on Chicago's O'Hare. What's the most recent airport you flew to? Why were you there?
I was in Vegas, as noted above; we were there for a long weekend away from snow, after Beast's attendance there at the International Builder's Show. I flew there from a Very Large Airport of Some Note. [this answer is killing me]
7) Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, Sox ... Chicago is a big sports town. What's your favorite pro team?
Packers!! Uhm, yeah, I'll excuse newbies who haven't read my blog, but the rest of you? Shame on you for not knowing! ;-)
8) Thinking of sports, did you watch the Olympics? If yes, which events?
Yes, mostly in a grazing sort of way. I've paid most attention to the men's figure skating, some extreme sport stuff, downhill and slalom skiing, and luge/skeleton/sledding.
9) Do you consider yourself an idealist or a pragmatist?
Yes. ... I'm a practical idealist who would like things to improve but have limited expectations of the world to change in any big ways.

4 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I haven't gone out to listen to local bands in a very long time. There is a bossa nova quartet that I enjoy; they need a singer, though.

I am Harriet said...

I just catch bits and pieces of the Olympics at random times.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I haven't watched Olympics since the year 9. But I have a classmate who was a line backer for the packers, and a coach. Whoot! Go Packers!

The Gal Herself said...

It's funny, but as a Chicagoan I know I hate the Packers. I don't know why, since I'm not a football fan, but I know I do. And must. Just as you hate the Bears. Whenever I hear about how the Red Sox and Yankees are the best rivalry in sports, I snort because they haven't been to the midwest during football season.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.