Saturday, January 14, 2012

Patrick Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday Six

1. Considering your childhood, do you feel you had it easier or tougher than your parents did when they were children?
My childhood, in the 60s through the very early 80s, was 180 degrees from those of my parents, who were 10 and 8 when the Depression hit. My dad was born on a homestead his parents were trying to proof; they lost it, and most everything else including a daughter (to scarlet fever) before my dad was 5. He remembered, as the Depression deepened, pulling his red wagon full of vegetables from his yard 1.5 miles to what was then a tuberculosis sanitarium to sell to them, then walking back home to bring more every weekend. This paid for clothes and some store-bought food for his family. My mom graduated from high school at 16 and went directly to work to support her family because her dad was unable to work due to (sorry, Mom) alcoholism. He had worked as a porter, carrying luggage (i.e. trunks) from Denver's Union Station to assorted hotels, including The Brown Palace, about a mile away, on his back.
You bet my life was easier than my parents! And, in turn, their lives were easier than their parents. I'm hoping to continue that trend with Sparky.
2. Considering your life now, at your current age, how does yours compare to what you know about your parents when they were your age?
When my Dad was 48, one of his daughters was near death, his business (which he owned) was failing, his dad died, and he had his first heart attack. Oh, yeah, and I think that was the summer my brother ran over his foot with a neighbor's lawn mower. It was NOT his best year! Mom's 48th year...I think that was about when she had her (shhh!) hysterectomy, but since we never talked about it afterwards, I could be wrong. In any case, my sister was a little healthier by then, so at least things had stabilized a little in the intervening years. On the other hand, my brother was 16 and a nightmare (as are a lot of teenage boys, ahem).
3. What do you miss today most about your childhood?
The freedom to play and lie in the sun. The health, the sense of discovery in every moment, the possibilities ahead of me. ANYthing was possible, even for a scared little mouse like me.
4. What percentage of the time during your childhood did you get what you asked for (within reason)?
Uh, well, at the time it seemed like about 5%, but of course that's not true. I had everything I needed, which is far more important. And I did get a lot of what I wanted--or thought I wanted--for Christmas and birthdays. Like, for instance, that rock polisher that I used once.
5. What percentage of the time do you end up getting what you want today (within reason)?
Mostly I have learned to wait a bit before I buy anything I'm jonesing for. That way, if I still want whatever it is, I probably will use it.
6. Take the quiz: Are You Spoiled?
You Are 8% Spoiled
You are definitely not spoiled. You've worked hard for what you have.
Down to earth and grounded, you don't need a lot to make you happy.
Yup. Too right, at least in material terms.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.