Friday, December 7, 2007

Friday Five

(Link at left)

1. Have you ever stayed in a hostel? If so, where? Did you like it? If you haven't stayed in a hostel, would you?
I have, in London. It was not a great experience--broken window glass on the floor of the room I slept in, and it was just mingy and dirty. I probably would do it again if I was traveling with a male, or a large group. Not Beast--he wouldn't handle the crappy beds well!
2. What is your favo(u)rite airport that you've been to? Why?
I love the Denver airport, just because of the difference between the new one and Stapleton, and the fact that it's very spacious and roomy, and cleverly designed. The airports in Montrose and Grand Junction (Colorado) are wonderful: small and pretty.
3. What is the best museum you have visited on vacation?
I really enjoy museums. I love the British Museum, and the National Museum in Athens, and the Art Institute in Chicago, and the Smitsonian in D.C., and the Vatican in Rome, and the Natural History Museum in Denver... I also like so many of the small museums I've been to as well, like the little room at Hadrian's Wall, or the D-Day museum in Virginia. Any kind of collection that is obviously loved by those caring for it makes me happy. I don't like dusty, empty museums.
4. Have you ever made friends while traveling whom you keep in touch with on a regular basis?
Not really. We don't really have those sorts of vacations usually--we are either on our own for the whole trip, moving around, or we are with family or friends. I need more than just one dinner or bus ride to feel like I've made long-term friends with someone.
5. Have you ever had a conversation with a seatmate on a plane?
Well...yeah.... Of course. Having flown overseas several times. Wait, this is just weird. I talk to the person with whom I'm traveling! And, yeah, when you are practically sitting on someone else's lap, it's hard NOT to talk to them. I don't ever sit down with the intent to chat with someone I don't know for the entire flight, but I have indeed done just that with people who WANT to talk. I once sat next to Al Jarreau's mom, in coach, on a flight to Milwaukee. I sat next to a wonderful woman when I was flying home from my dad's funeral with Sparky on my lap. There were some wonderful people on the flight to England three years ago when Beast's back went out as we boarded the plane.
However, I've also spent flights doing crosswords and reading and saying nothing but "hi" and "thank you" to the person next to me."

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.